Worcester 24, 28CDI Nest Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first post so please be gentle. I have a Worcester 24 or 28CDI. Trying to connect a Nest Gen 3 Pro Thermostat. ST8 is mains so as I beleiev the Nest is 24v I would
attach to St13, No11 in the pic. But my boiler only has PCB solder point and no connecter as per the picture. Wondering if I can solder direct or not? And I think it would be the first two solder points, but which is negative and live? Can't find anything on the web so hoping someone can help here.

Thanks in Advance.
Nest 1.png

Sponsored Links
But my boiler only has PCB solder point and no connecter as per the picture. Wondering if I can solder direct or not? And I think it would be the first two solder points, but which is negative and live
Sorry to be blunt, but there are a few comments here that suggest you may be in over your head! :)
Soldering onto the main PCB would not be a good idea.

Trying to connect a Nest Gen 3 Pro Thermostat. ST8 is mains so as I beleiev the Nest is 24v
The Nest is quite happy to switch mains voltage (as long as you use the correct terminals!), so you would use the mains switching terminals (ST8) on your boiler.

Can you post a picture of the connections you have and a model year for your boiler?
Is there not an existing thermostat?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I’m struggling to see where it’s a soldered point on the pcb.
I'm not absolutely sure if this is the correct PCB, but if the 24V connection was supposed to be used on ST13...

Screenshot_20231216-185000_Chrome.jpg

then, there would be a dedicated board edge connector in place, something like...

1702753137487.png

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Sorry to be blunt, but there are a few comments here that suggest you may be in over your head! :)

The Nest is quite happy to switch mains voltage (as long as you use the correct terminals!), so you would use the mains switching terminals (ST8) on your boiler.

Can you post a picture of the connections you have and a model year for your boiler?
Hi and thanks, connecting to ST8 blows the fuse on the circuit board. And yes, I used the correct terminals

I’m struggling to see where it’s a soldered point on the pcb.
In the picture I posted, it shows a terminal block, ST13. On my PCB it is not there, only the solder points for the block.

• Thanks
Hi and thanks, connecting to ST8 blows the fuse on the circuit board. And yes, I used the correct terminals
What connections did you make between the Nest and ST8?
And the Fuse that blew was where? On the boiler PCB?

It's old. 24 or 28CDI Worcester. connections in the pic I first posted, On the nest, terminal 2 and 3 to ST8 terminal 1 and 2 with the link removed

Attachments

• 20231216_195133.jpg
    20231216_195133.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231216_195158.jpg
    20231216_195158.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
What connections did you make between the Nest and ST8?
And the Fuse that blew was where? On the boiler PCB?
On the nest, terminal 2 and 3 to ST8 terminal 1 and 2 with the link removed. And the fuse that blew was on the pcb next to the mains wire in. 5x20 2A

You don't have an ST13 connection.
There are components missing on the PCB, that would relate to the 24V controls.
Even if you could solder wires on, the circuitry to respond to the call-to-heat is missing!
ST8 is the connector to use.

Ls and Lr (terminals 2 and 3) on boiler, to Nest terminals 2 and 3...

View attachment 325465
Well that has worked to a certain extent, fuse isn't blowing. But, heating is not coming on. Should I be setting the installed room stat on the boiler to something specific? Or disconect it? It's in the "on" mode at the moment

Last edited:
Well that has worked to a certain extent, fuse isn't blowing. But, heating is not coming on. Should I be setting the installed room stat on the boiler to something specific? Or disconect it? It's in the "on" mode at the moment
Any existing room thermostat should be set to maximum and the Nest will take over. If you wanted to disconnect that we can guide you through that too

Should I be setting the installed room stat on the boiler to something specific? Or disconect it? It's in the "on" mode at the moment
Can you press the 'On' button on the "Room Stat' panel, and see if that provides an override? - I'm guessing the LED above the button should illuminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back