Worcester 24, 28CDI Nest Thermostat

Any existing room thermostat should be set to maximum and the Nest will take over. If you wanted to disconnect that we can guide you through that too
Hi and thanks. If I set the nest to a lower temp than ambient, turn the existing stat up, the heating still comes on.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Can you press the 'On' button on the "Room Stat' panel, and see if that provides an override? - I'm guessing the LED above the button should illuminate.
Think its in the on position, if I set the nest to a lower temp than ambient, turn the existing stat up, the heating still comes on.

Attachments

• 20231217_090213.jpg
    20231217_090213.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 13
Well that has worked to a certain extent, fuse isn't blowing. But, heating is not coming on. Should I be setting the installed room stat on the boiler to something specific? Or disconect it? It's in the "on" mode at the moment
And I connected 2 from nest "common" to ST8 LS and 3 from nest "call for heat" to St8 LR

Any existing room thermostat should be set to maximum and the Nest will take over. If you wanted to disconnect that we can guide you through that too
If I set the nest to a lower temp than ambient, and set the old stat higher, the heating comes on. Oh, I didn't see it post so I replied again

Attachments

• 20231217_090213.jpg
    20231217_090213.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Something isn’t right then obviously, something is signalling the boiler to come on. Left any links or added any?

Something isn’t right then obviously, something is signalling the boiler to come on. Left any links or added any?
Because the controller has a built-in wireless receiver, it is difficult to know how to bypass it.

I haven't been able to find any technical information on the receiver itself, other than it being a:
WORCESTER 87161561170 PROGRAMMABLE RECEIVER

Screenshot_20231217-115525_Chrome.jpg

There appear to be only three wires on the back, so it's possible that it is simply +V, gnd and switch, but I wouldn't like to bet on that without testing.

@Badger1966 , can you remove the module, and pull out the plug and see if the Nest then has control?

Because the controller has a built-in wireless receiver, it is difficult to know how to bypass it.

I haven't been able to find any technical information on the receiver itself, other than it being a:
WORCESTER 87161561170 PROGRAMMABLE RECEIVER

View attachment 325539

There appear to be only three wires on the back, so it's possible that it is simply +V, gnd and switch, but I wouldn't like to bet on that without testing.

@Badger1966 , can you remove the module, and pull out the plug and see if the Nest then has control?
So, with the old stat and nest under ambient temp, as soon as I disconnect the module, the heating fires up. I tried with the old stat set above ambient temp and nest below, pulled module and it fired up the heating.

As for testing, black and red 23.7v (black is negative) nothing on green. Heating on, black and green 4.5v

Last edited:
So, with the old stat and nest under ambient temp, as soon as I disconnect the module, the heating fires up. I tried with the old stat set above ambient temp and nest below, pulled module and it fired up the heating.
So it fires up the heating when the module is disconnected? - good!
Can you leave the module disconnected, then disconnect the Lr and Ls connections at the boiler and see what happens?

I'm sorry this isn't straightforward - I can't see any information in the boiler manuals about how these modules connect.

Can you leave the module disconnected, then disconnect the Lr and Ls connections at the boiler and see what happens?

I'm sorry this isn't straightforward - I can't see any information in the boiler manuals about how these modules connect.
Thanks, will give it a go when I get home this evening

Hi, so module unplugged, Lr & Ls disconnected, nothing happens. Plug module in with Lr,Ls disconnected, nothing happens even with old stat above ambient temp. Tried Nest wires other way round in Ls,Rs and same as before. Old stat above ambient, nest below, heat comes on. Tried old stat below ambient and turn up nest, nothing. I also presume nest is OK as I can here the base at boiler click when you go above and back below ambient.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the wiring and existing thermostat?

Nothing happens, as in boiler doesn't come on? - great!
With module unplugged, and a link wire between Lr and Ls, does boiler come on?
Well we have truly entered the twilight zone. Got home from work yesterday evening and my wife says the heating isn't coming on. Of course, like the previous evening the old stat is working. so I try turning it up and down, nothing. left it on a higher setting. Turned the nest up, still nothing. Look at the boiler and power is on, everything as usual. So with both stats higher than ambient, I press the red reset button on the boiler, nothing, pressed it for longer and boom, the heating fires up, phew! Go down stairs, turn the nest down below ambient and I hear something up stairs, go and have a look and the boiler is off! I leave the door open and go back down to the Nest stat, turn it up and the boiler fires up! I'm like what the hell is going on. Nothing has changed, wires, everything as it was. But here we are, somehow the nest is now in control and has been working since. Crazy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back