Worcester 24i -V noisy after powerflush & new pump - Lon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problems started with cold spots - most especially in centre middle of living room rad (3 bed house with 7 rads in total). Was told needed a powerflush to get rid of sludge. Had that done and when guys left the living room rad was no better. Told to leave it a while to see if it 'works its way through'. About 5 days later rad is significantly better across the middle (which was the worst bit) with just a small localised area to the left still cold. Unfortunately there was a 'bang' when heating came on next morning (frightened the cat witless) and subsequently the main bedroom rad was cold at the front (altho hot at the back- its a double convector with fins). Rest of the system now lukewarm. Assumed the blockage had moved and was now upstairs rather than downstairs. Called out the original powerflush gang who now proclaim system is beyond repair and quote £3900 plus vat to replace pipes, rads and boiler. Rang Worcester Bosch as boiler is under maintenance contract. Eng replaced pump and showed me it was full of crud (black sticky gunge) also pcb (more to do with knocking the end off some electrical wire than a consequence of the prob, it seems).Upshot is boiler is now knocking really badly, guage is 'jumping' and there's a water leak (seems to be from the front middle of boiler).
Ideas anyone? Will be ringing WB first thing in the morning but would like to be prepared for any likely squirmy ' not our problem' scenario.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your swift response :cool:).
Am more than a little worried that Worcester Bosch will try to wash their hands of my problems (Can't say I blame them as this all-singing, all-dancing powerflush that I was led to believe would solve all my problems has really just made everything go t**s-up).
What do you think is my worst-case scenario here?
Are I looking at having to spend £4K plus to get a reasonable, working system ?
Or could I reasonably expect WB to do any more for me?
Should I be asking the powerflush 'experts' to do anything for me?
(Suspect I will be flogging a dead horse there as cheque banked and cleared a while since....)
Any viewpoint will be appreciated!
Cheers!

I normally find your problems with a Worcester in need of a flush...

'works its way through' ?? it didn't work its way through with a powerflush yet a 15/50 is going to clear it? they having a laugh?

Your needle jumping/banging is due to kettling,

Get the flush guys back... they've bodged up royally, its not Worcsters fault, (you may however wish to check the pump for operation, just in case)

Ask what chemicals were used in the flush, etc, check they weren't cowboys, how long did the flush take? did they spend any time on each radiator individually or did they just set up and walk off? Was an inhibitor put into the system?

I certainly wouldn't be looking at a new system, where in the system did they attach the flushing machine?

Sponsored Links
They said if it didn't 'work its way through' then I needed a new radiator.
Not sure if they used chemicals before the flush but they put some sentinel in afterwards.
Two blokes were there for 3 hours (a good bit of that seemed to be at the end making sure all the rads were warming up properly).
They removed the kitchen radiator and attached the powerflush hoses to the pipes and got a water feed from behind the washing machine.
They are supposedly Corgi registered (will check that out) and I asked about how experienced they were before I asked them to do the job and was told they had been in business for 40 years and had been doing powerflushes for the last 7 years. They did seem to do a lot of running up and down stairs and turning rads on and off or something.
We were intending to remove the rads ourselves this coming Friday and try to flush them through individually. (A bit wary of getting anyone in to do anything else after the problems we have had so far).
Do you think that the new pump that was fitted last Friday could now be bunged up with crud again?

Judging from what you tell us, the "powerflush" was not done very well, but doesn't leave you an option to chase them as such - they did do it, presumably without guarantee of solving the problem. No harm in sounding like you're prepared to go to court etc, but what have you got in writing to argue over?
I think if it were my system I'd do a powerflush with more agressive chemicals (Fernox DS-40 or Kamco's (forgot name, call them)) which would take a whole day. If som e rads still not 100% I'd try taking one or two off for hose in garden treatment. May have to renew a rad here or there. No need to change pipes unless they're plated steel (very few are thank god, but thry're disastrous).

Not WB's problem or Corgi's. New pump may be dirty, but not damaged.

Thanks ChrisR!
Have asked Worcester Bosch to come out and they are coming on Saturday (I am concerned about the leak and obviously if the problem is because of something that has occurred due to the not very well done powerflush I will have to pay for the repair).
Will be removing rads and cleaning them out on Friday in advance of the engineer coming so we will just have to see what happens.
Thanks for the advice - I can see what you mean about the powerflush guys and my lack of anything to argue with them about. I am loathe to have anything more to do with them, quite frankly, so will just do what I can myself.
Looks like another money haemorrhage........ :cry:

Just to let you all know what has transpired - so far.
Spent all day yesterday removing rads and flushing them through with hose and power-washer. Amazed at how long it took and how gungy the water was..
Refilled system and turned it on with crossed fingers. Still a little noisy (noise stopped after about five minutes then returned a bit less noisy). Nowhere near as bad as before but still not as it should be. Also still had the leak (just a bit of a very slow drip), but rads hot all over!
Worcester came out this morning and determined leak was a joint that needed tightening (possibly disturbed last week when pump replaced?).
Noise was due to c**p in heat exchanger and they replaced this within maintenance contract.
I am thrilled to bits as would have been quite prepared to pay for repairs that I would have expected were caused by powerflush from hell.
Thanks to you all - comments re kettling and muck in heat exchanger were spot on. :D

As we have now flushed the system out we will need to replace the inhibitor to try to help keep it clear.
Have never done this before - so where does it go in, in a sealed system?
When I went to ask the powerflush lads about this he had a container in his hand and was saying he had just done it so I didnt actually see it happen.
Sorry for sounding a bit vacant - am learning all the time (having said that isn't there a saying " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ;) )
Thanks again!

Thanks! :D

Still a little worried about trying to introduce 'extra liquid' into a full, pressurised system.
(Can you tell I'm an amateur... :oops: )

Ta :oops:
If it's not stretching your helpfulness....
Best place to purchase the aforementioned?

Thanks again :D

BTW if you have a ladder style towel radiator with bungs in the top it's easy to add inhibitor there - just turn rad off and drain some from a union.

Hats off to Worcester for replacing the heat exchanger. I doubt they would have done that if you hadn't had the so called powerflush?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back