worcester 28i junior water problem

This is all really helpful thankyou. If you say he needs to deal with the flow problem first then ideally the next gas engineer in your opinions should be changing which part? I'm guessing ill be paying for a plate heat exchanger what ever happens as that would work out best financially for him?

Sponsored Links
Well I don't have a crystal ball like Agile/Tony so I would be checking just the filter to begin with. Plate might be fine but flow through the boiler is too low causing it to cut out/cycle on and off. I'm not saying the plate definitely isn't scaled but you need to start at the beginning and work in a logical order. Don't just throw parts at it for no reason.

There are two faults!

A restricted flow and then perhaps a poor temperature regulation.

Regardless, the flow problem needs sorting out first as that may well be all that is wrong!

Tony

I dont use crystal balls.

Just normal diagnostic tools.

A scaled plate can be cleaned. But I expect your water is soft!

Tony

Had a new gas engineer out he replaced the filter but said it wasn't really blocked. He's going to fit a new plate heat exchanger.

He's charging me £200 all told does this seem fair? He said he's fitting a 12 plate rather than a 16 plate to make it cheaper, is that ok?

Sponsored Links
Certainly not in my view!

You can fit a larger one but NEVER a smaller one! He must be seriously mentally disabled to not understand how boilers work and what is needed.

He is already charging more than most would.

You need someone who is reasonably priced and does not just change parts willy nilly at YOUR cost.

I clean plate heat exchngers as that's cheaper for the client at £52 rather than about £90.

It is very easy for me to see if a plate is partially blocked!

Tony

The 12 plate is from the 24i version so your hot water won't be as good as it was. Certainly a bad idea, it'll work but not as the manufacturer intended.

The 12 plate is from the 24i version so your hot water won't be as good as it was. Certainly a bad idea, it'll work but not as the manufacturer intended.

It's a physically smaller plate so it won't be able to transfer heat as effectively and it'll block up again sooner too as a side note. Your boiler may also have problems regulating the heat as it'll be expecting to transfer better than it will be doing. It'll send 28kw of heat to it initially but the plate is only rated for 24kw. How much of an issue that will be I'm not sure because I'd never be stupid enough to try it.

I've just spoke to him on the phone told him I want the 16 plate or not too bother. He said that's fine and he will do it for the same price. Is £200 fair? I looked online think the plate is about £100 so £100 labour?

I would clean the existing

I also would have taken out and inspected the plate before I would recommend, cleaning/replacing, and if it needed it, I would then have cleaned it there and then, if it didn't, put it back and look for the fault

I've just spoke to him on the phone told him I want the 16 plate or not too bother. He said that's fine and he will do it for the same price. Is £200 fair? I looked online think the plate is about £100 so £100 labour?

Do you think the labour cost is fair :rolleyes:

Ok so the gasman came back today. Aswell as cleaning and changing the filter, he has now removed and expected the pump and fitted a new 16 plate heat exchanger. Boiler is now running and hasn't cut out yet, but my flow is still not great and the water is still very very hot. He said he will come back and change the sensors on the main heat exchanger? Also said that there is no hot water control on my particular boiler and as he has just fitted a new plate heat exchanger the water will be hot. Does any of this sound correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back