Worcester 350 Heat exchanger / Gas valve : Hot & cold wa

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wip out the expansion vessel, you dont need 2 touch the GV, i'm sure, thats what i do, is it over heating, the old brass type flow switches are prone 2 sticking on these and causing o/ht, they are replaced with plastic ones, if i have the correct boiler in mind

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell!

People call me incompetent (or at least, not competent) but at least I can read, write and stick to the point!

Ollie20, nobody wants to wip [sic] out the expansion vessel...so don't worry about it.

Nickso, thanks for your input and alluding to the fact that I am misreading the instructions, however, I disagree with your comment stating that the 'best way to learn is to watch somebody'.....surely, if you're watching somebody incompetent (even if they are registered) then that's not a good thing but moreover, rarely does one learn by simply watching, you surely have to try things for yourself and unfortunately, you ‘learn’ from your own mistakes and experiences, not from watching others.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and advice but I think the topic is closed. I should have realised that people can't help gas related issues (and quite rightly so).

Bloody hell!

People call me incompetent (or at least, not competent) but at least I can read, write and stick to the point!

Ollie20, nobody wants to wip [sic] out the expansion vessel...so don't worry about it.

Ollie20 is suggesting you can remove the expansion vessel instead of the gas valve to gain access, one of several decent suggestions you have completely glossed over.

Decent suggestions????

The retaining clips of the water to water heat exchanger are located behind the exchanger on the side which is obstructed by the gas valve NOT the expansion vessel….therefore, hardly a decent suggestion. (Which is why, after consulting the manual, which clearly states removing the gas valve, I asked questions with regards to removing the gas valve, not the vessel which I successfully replaced a little while ago).

Ever feel like you're going round in circles?

Honestly lads, forget it.

The people/person who knows how to identify/remove the parts (nickso) won't tell me, the others (Ollie20/ollski) go off on a tangent.

Sponsored Links
I don't mind saying you aren't competent. You've made it perfectly clear.

You seem to think that you can tell an experienced angineer he's wrong, from looking at the manual, after you misread what he said. Not too bright then, either.

If you disturb the gas valve you'll have to readjust it, which you wouldn't have a clue about, or your boiler might explode. OK?

You can fix a blocked PHE without remooving it, but since you'd be telling us we're wrong, I doubt anyone will bother to explain.

Chris, you've also made it patently clear you can't read/understand....I never said I wasn't competent, infact, I substantiated my claim by stating that I had diagnosed, replaced and fixed various problems which had arise with my boiler...but you seem to disregard that.

Also, I never misread what he said, I merely pointed out the fact that nobody was talking/had mentioned removing the expansion vessel, as this simply wouldn't help since, for the last time of writing, the retaining clips are on the opposite side. (If it aids your thought process, try imagining you're sat between two fat people on a tube train. The right side of your body, (which is pressed against one of the fat people) starts tingling, you want to scratch it...eventually the fat person on your otherside moves....while marginally better, (and seeing as though you’re a person and not a fixed, rigid object, within your seating confinement, you still don't havecomplete access to where you want! Hence, even if one removes the expansion vessel it doesn’t allow access to the retaining clips!).

By the way, according to the manufacturer’s protocols, one doesn't have to readjust the 'factory settings' if merely unscrewing and replacing the valve. Which is all I wanted to do. But seeing as though it’s against every law ever written, then forget it, but please, don’t offer inadequate, misinformed, badly researched suggestions.

While I completely agree that one can fix a blocked PHE without removing it, this surely depends on the layout of the PHE and the surrounding components!

NV, I think that you should review all the posts above.

Whilst we cannot give you advice on DIY gas you have been told that you can remove the PHE with the gas valve in place OR you can clean it in situ OR that the fault might be a sensor anyway.

When they talk about "competence" they are relating that word to dealing with gas work, in other words whats relevant to your problem. You might be a very competent skier but thats nothing to do with being competent to work on gas.

Whilst the gas MIGHT not need adjusting any gas registered person has to do gas leakage tests after replacing a gas component and as well has to do operational tests on the boiler to confirm that its set up correctly.

Perhaps you missed the fact that two people were killed recently in NI as a result of a gas appliance that was not operating correctly.

Tony

(By trial and error, I’m sure it’s quite obvious which screws hold the cover in place and which is the correct lead, but I prefer to know these things in advance).

By the way, according to the manufacturer’s protocols, one doesn't have to readjust the 'factory settings' if merely unscrewing and replacing the valve. Which is all I wanted to do. But seeing as though it’s against every law ever written, then forget it, but please, don’t offer inadequate, misinformed, badly researched suggestions.

Ollski : Also, I was never even contemplating adjusting the modureg!

No I know you weren't intending to but as you have said above you were going to sort it by trial and error yet your picture which you have uploaded and labelled shows screws you think are a cover are actually 2 critical gas seals

Nickso : I like you but you as with Ollski you can't judge an ability/inability to carry out a task (i.e. competency) by an inability to identify parts..which is what my first post was all about!

I disagree, how can you be competent to work on something when you cant identify it?. We are not here to try and sell you anything or trip you up and just giving you the best advice we can. Appreciate you have tackled a couple of basic jobs on the boiler before but that doesn't mean everything else is as simple as it says in the manual (manufacturers tend not to advertise the fact they have designed some maintenance tasks incredibly poorly!)

Manufacturers Instructions for boilers are written on the basis that, in accordance with legal requirements, only gas registered people will be working on their appliances.

They therefore assume a certain level of competence and the availability of the normal gas test equipment required for the task. So they dont go into minute detail but just say "remove" or "replace" a gas valve without detailing all the safety and performance tests which a ( gas ) competent person will already be aware of.

Tony

Tony:

And perhaps you missed the fact that skiers were killed as a result of snow! (Please, no more irrelevant analogies).

I agreed that I’m not gas registered and I also agreed that I therefore wouldn’t attempt to remove the potentially lethal gas valve! (which is what I said a long time ago!).

(Also, I did appreciate the fact that the PHE could be cleaned in situ before posting, however, as you seem to keep failing to appreciate, I just wanted to know what the different parts are….I won’t now do anything with them…i.e. I won’t gas any skiers to death..I just want to know what the parts are. Equally, I do not want to know about the benefits of gas registered engineers or any other irrelevancies.

Like I said, thanks.

Tony:

I also agreed that I therefore wouldn’t attempt to remove the potentially lethal gas valve! (which is what I said a long time ago!).

When?, here?

merely unscrewing and replacing the valve. Which is all I wanted to do

Equally, I do not want to know about the benefits of gas registered engineers or any other irrelevancies.

I suspect you may find that feeling reciprocated.

Thanks.

Ollski: please don’t pick and choose my sentences in a chronologically inaccurate order and proceed to build a story around them….if you really want to do that, try to work for the tabloids, which may not be a bad idea since what you identified as being ‘2 critical gas seals’ (which I originally identified as being ‘2 of 4 securing screws’) are indeed (see picture) ‘2 of 4 securing screws’….

View media item 25542

Please stop digging Ollski, it’s slightly embarrassing. You’re not as good as you think. In fact, dangerously, you’re worse. So much for 'seasoned pros, registered this, registered that'..when they turn out to be, well, wrong!

I can't be bothered any more. Thank you all (if only for entertainment value Ollski).

Night.

(N.B. there’s also a tag specifying that the settings do not need to be changed after installation....i.e. the manufacturers are saying that one can install the boiler (which by definition would involve a lot of mechanical forces) without the valve being adjusted...whereas as I was castigated for merely alluding to remove and replace it!).

Ollski: please don’t pick and choose my sentences in a chronologically inaccurate order and proceed to build a story around them….if you really want to do that, try to work for the tabloids, which may not be a bad idea since what you identified as being ‘2 critical gas seals’ (which I originally identified as being ‘2 of 4 securing screws’) are indeed (see picture) ‘2 of 4 securing screws’….

View media item 25542

Please stop digging Ollski, it’s slightly embarrassing. You’re not as good as you think. In fact, dangerously, you’re worse. So much for 'seasoned pros, registered this, registered that'..when they turn out to be, well, wrong!

I can't be bothered any more. Thank you all (if only for entertainment value Ollski).

Night.

(N.B. there’s also a tag specifying that the settings do not need to be changed after installation....i.e. the manufacturers are saying that one can install the boiler (which by definition would involve a lot of mechanical forces) without the valve being adjusted...whereas as I was castigated for merely alluding to remove and replace it!).

Lol now I really feel stupid :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ollski:

I really don't care any more but If you pick and choose, then I quote the 4th post of this thread (my personal second quote)...

'I've now decided against attempting the work myself but will instead call out an appropriately qualified engineer'

Really, end of.

Especially since you're spouting off about knowing it all while the facts (my second image) patently states you don't!

Honestly, I'm logging off now. Thanks for a......well, for an experience (not an educational or fulfilling one) but a somewhat amusing one nevertheless. (Finger’s crossed for when I actually call out a ‘competent’ i.e. ‘registered’ engineer…I’ll be sure to point out the screws from the valves and the fact that the removal of the expansion vessel (for this boiler) won’t actually help!).

yes and check the setting after it has been removed and replaced

and you will find the "tag" aint worth jack fella

do you think all these lads don't work in the industry ?

do you think they don't know what they are talking about ?

if i was stuck i'm sure i wouldnt come on a forum with such a smart ass attitude :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back