Worcester 42CDI compatible with 'high pressure' tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, as per my forum title - im totally useless on most aspects of DIY, building etc.

Im in the middle of having a kitchen/diner extension built and I have bought a Worcester 42CDI boiler - as Ive been led to belive on these forums; a good quality boiler.

I need to purchase a tap and some are marked as 'high pressure' meaning, I presume, it requires a boiler that can supply high pressure to it.

I was assuming as the boiler is so overrated for the size of house (a three bed semi with 9 rads) that pressure wouldnt be an issue but the builder has just said not to assume that and the boiler size is more to do with its heating/throughput ability although admitted it wasnt his strong area!

So should my Bosch Worcester 42CDI have any issue with the main kitchen sink tap being of the 'high pressure' variety?

Not sure if its relevant but the boiler is located in the kitchen on the opposite wal to where the sink is located.

Any help/advice would be greatfully recieved,

Lee

Sponsored Links
Generally High pressure Taps are designed for use on Mains water supply, and not on Loft Tank fed systems, You have a Combi so the system is Mains Fed.

However The Boiler does not produce water pressure it mearly uses it, The Mains water pressure both Static and working should be checked Prior to buying any fitting that is pressure dependant.

I would think that the tap you describe will workl ok, although the flow rate may not be as high ;)

WOW - thanks for the quick replies guys.

Ive just read that a couple of the taps require 2 bar of pressure so I guess from what you are saying, its down to actual mains pressure. Fingers crossed its good enough. :)

Thanks again for the education, :D

Lee

Sponsored Links
The tap actually has nothing to do with your boiler, strange as that may sound.
"High" pressure taps just mean that they are capable of dealing with mains pressure. Although some suppliers mention a minimum pressure, sometimes as high as 3 bar, I have never seen high pressure tap that didn't work on low pressure. A low pressure tap can give problems on high pressure.

As for your boiler, yes it is a good one. Make sure it is installed by a proper RGI, and not by the builder. A good boiler that is badly installed is just as likely to give break down and die prematurely as a cheap boiler.
A lot of builders try to earn a bit extra by having one of the lads install it, and have it signed off by someone else. It always end up in tears, don't fall for the old story that Trevor used to work for the gasboard and knows what he is doing.

Thanks for the further responses, all very interesting. :)

Last night the builder popped by with a device that measures the pressure coming in on the mains.... 2.75 ('bar' in presuming?) so that opens my options up nicely. :)

Thanks again,

Lee

You need to ensure that he has checked the pressure properly by running another tap or flushing the toilet and that he has also checked the flow-rate.

That boiler needs around 1.9Bar pressure and about 22 litres per minute flow-rate to produce the 17.2 litres of hot water it is designed for. If you don't have the correct pressure and flow-rate you have wasted about £200 because you should have gone for one of the lower hot water output boilers such as the 37CDI or even the 30 CDI, 2.75 Bar static pressure is pretty low if that is indeed what yer man has measured.

Also that boiler requires a decent sized gas supply, unless the gas meter is close to where the boiler is going to be installed you will more than likely require an upgrade to your current gas supply otherwise the boiler won't work as it was intended to and will struggle to supply the manufacturer's stated hot water output.

Tony.

Also that boiler requires a decent sized gas supply, unless the gas meter is close to where the boiler is going to be installed you will more than likely require an upgrade to your current gas supply otherwise the boiler won't work as it was intended to and will struggle to supply the manufacturer's stated hot water output.

must have second sight :rolleyes:

Thank you Mr Tuvak. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tuvok, I think :LOL:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

anyway all of this should have been checked before the purchase of the boiler not after :rolleyes:

One of the problems of customers buying their own boilers, based on what "they" say, rather than leaving it to the RGI to see what the best option is for the situation.
Great to have 3 or 4 bar pressure, but if it is supplied through a 1/2" lead pipe that got a bit squeezed over the years, the best boiler in the world will not work to well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back