worcester 9.24 central heating combi

M

mckinnon100

hello all. need some help.

i have a combi boiler that take a lifetime to fire up. at the last count it took 90 odd tries and then it eventually lit the pilot light.

can anyone tell me what the problem is?

when the combi is not on i cannot see a pilot light light. is this unusual?

many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There are all sorts of faults that can affect your boiler which I must say is already well past its normal life expectancy.

Most people get their boiler serviced every year and if there is any problem in between services they call an engineer to fix it.

If the boiler is able to work then there is probably not any very serious problem apart perhaps from a failing diverter valve.

You need a competent engineer to come and sort it out for you.

Tony

a Heatslave per chance?

Very easy Worcesters to work on as every job is soooo simple.

The sight glass will restict the view of the pilot on a boiler this age.

NO BOILER IS TOO OLD

Dave

Ignitor worn/shot.
A good service will cure this.

Agree soggy but these things are nearly as old as you and only one day younger than God :LOL: .....Only jesting ;)

Sponsored Links
Would love to get a job on a 9.24. Think they have all but gone around here.
Great boilers but yes they are old now. Can still get alot of bits though.
OP is it the electronic or does it actually have a push button and spark for a pilot light.Are you saying you can hear it sparking to try and light the pilot??

Stan

Not many parts officially available!

Fan is discontinued BUT looks just like the motor and impeller from a netaheat if you are stuck!

Also the o/H stat is not listed any more.

Quite solid if anyone is determined to keep them going.

Tony

thanks all,

hello pannierstan. in answer to your question yes its electronic. i did have a service done on it a few months ago but he said i needed a new combi. it would cost £2000. i didnt trust him unfortunately.

when i look thru the glass there is no pilot on at all. when it fires up i can see the gas flame.

any diy i could do on it?

thanks

I agree with CLF, sounds like your HT lead is shorting (ie the spark isn't getting to where it should be to ignite the pilot) Unfortunately as this involves opening the combustion chamber it is a job for a CORGI.

Incidentally I have loads of 9.24 electronics around our area (C.Scotland) and they are all going strong however the Altecnic Exp. Vessel is like gold dust around here.

mckinnon100 said:
thanks all,

hello pannierstan. in answer to your question yes its electronic. i did have a service done on it a few months ago but he said i needed a new combi. it would cost £2000. i didnt trust him unfortunately.

when i look thru the glass there is no pilot on at all. when it fires up i can see the gas flame.

any diy i could do on it?
thanks
Is a job for a corgi really but point them in the direction of ignition lead/probe problems or just blocked pilot.

Stan

thanks guys. big help.

penpusher, what is a Altecnic Exp. Vessel. thought it was a type of holy grail after watching the da vinci code. lol

pannierstan, i paid the corgi guy £80 a few months ago for a service only for him to tell me i need a new combi. any advice with regard to asking for discount on his next call or should i get someone else.

thanks much

You need somebody who repairs boilers who does not have a vested interest in replacing it.

Some people like me just repair boilers so we have no axe to grind.

Most services are only £45-£65 on a combi boiler so £80 is rather on the high side.

Tony

Altecnic vessel is the big red circular drum inside the boiler and right now it's rarer than the holy grail around here, it is the main cause of breakdowns on this appliance at the moment

We have one in stock!

Not because we want to but after ordering it for a client she is more than satisfied with the expansion vessel radiator that I was so stupid to set up for her as a temporary measure!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back