Worcester 9.24 Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been reading the catalogue of problems people have been having with their Worcester 9.24 boilers. But none of them mention the problem I am experiencing. I can get SOME hot water when the CH is on, but basically the system is not firing up when Hot Water demanded. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thats the most common fault on your model!

Diverter valve failed!

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for that! What exactly does the Diverter valve do? (Excuse my ignorance - I'm more of a sparks!) I thought it diverted the water around the loop when no radiators were calling for heat. But I guess that's not the case. So how does it affect the simple operation of hot water flow calling for heat, because if I turn the CH off and operate the control switch to Hot Water Only, it doesn't fire up?

Although not 100% sure.... (but I just fixed mine).

When you draw hot water the difference in pressure makes the diaphragm operate which then sends the hot water from the main heat exchanger through the DHW heat exchanger which has the cold water running through it, heats it up then out to the hot water piping.
As it does this it also pushes up the pin in the middle which will switch over 2 micro switches which control the boiler, turning something or other on/off.

If these do not switch over then it will not turn the heat on (I think).

If you search for my thread on it, the diaphragm cost me just over a tenner plus £6 for silicone grease (where the full valve is under £40).
A relatively easy repair, although there will be those telling me off for doing it ;)

Sponsored Links
On some 9.24 models its necessary to move the gas valve to replace the diverter valve.

Others is not so bad.

These boilers are quite old now and due for replacement.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back