WORCESTER 9.24 O/F ELECTRONIC POOR FLOW RATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FIRSTLY I AM A GAS SAFE REGISTERED ENGINEER HAVE BEEN CALLED TO A FRIENDS HOUSE TO LOOK AT SAID BOILER WITH A VERY POOR FLOW FROM THE HOT TAP THE PIN FROM THE diverter VALVE IS MOVING OUT BUT NOT SURE IF ITS MAKING CONTACT WITH SWITCHES BECAUSE WHEN I PUT MY SCREW DRIVER THROUGH THE solenoid AND TURN THE TAP I GET A GOOD FLOW BUT NO HOT WATER COULD IT BE JUST THE diafram HOPE THIS MAKES SOME SENSE ANY ONE GOT ANY IDEAS

Sponsored Links
It would be better if you posted these questions in the combustion chamber part of this site.

You should also use small lettters!

I dont understand what you are saying about "a solenoid" !

Tony

Sponsored Links
It would be better if you posted these questions in the combustion chamber part of this site.

You should also use small lettters!

I dont understand what you are saying about "a solenoid" !

Tony
sorry for the big letters

when the pin from the diverter valve pushes up (it has a round plastic top on it) this then from what i can see pushes up onto the solenoid making the switch to fire boiler but i only get a poor flow but if i put my screw driver through the hole in the solenoid and turn the tap on i get a good flow but no hot water hope this is a bit clearer

That is not a "solenoid" above the diverter valve it is a pair of micro switches.

So are you saying that things improve when you put ths screwdriver in?
Can yu get long nosed pliers in to lift the pin up further?
Does that improve it and give hot water?

I'm no expert but it could be the pin has clogged up, or diaphragm is worn. you will only know that by taking it apart & looking, on the 9.24 it's not a hard or long job to do as long as you can get the r/h side panel off.

If it is that then a new diaphragm repair kit is a fiver here (part 17115).
I replaced mine a few months ago, was easy enough to do.
You may be able to do it without removing the whole diverter valve, although if you do - given it's age new washers may be needed.

Oh hang on, the 9.24 electronic - where the diverter is on the left?
that may be harder. (Is it behind the DHW HE on that model?)

If you only want to replace the whole diverter they are at the same place I linked above and are not expensive. Thats if it does turn out to be that.

Let's hope it's not the hot water Heat Exchanger - that costs oodles.
(If anyone happens to have a 9.24 they are scrapping with a good DHWHE in I could do with one for mine)

Now I bet Tony's going to tell me off coz I dont know what I'm doing in a boiler? :LOL:

That is not a "solenoid" above the diverter valve it is a pair of micro switches.

So are you saying that things improve when you put ths screwdriver in?
Can yu get long nosed pliers in to lift the pin up further?
Does that improve it and give hot water?

I'm no expert but it could be the pin has clogged up, or diaphragm is worn. you will only know that by taking it apart & looking, on the 9.24 it's not a hard or long job to do as long as you can get the r/h side panel off.

If it is that then a new diaphragm repair kit is a fiver here (part 17115).
I replaced mine a few months ago, was easy enough to do.
You may be able to do it without removing the whole diverter valve, although if you do - given it's age new washers may be needed.

Oh hang on, the 9.24 electronic - where the diverter is on the left?
that may be harder. (Is it behind the DHW HE on that model?)

If you only want to replace the whole diverter they are at the same place I linked above and are not expensive. Thats if it does turn out to be that.

Let's hope it's not the hot water Heat Exchanger - that costs oodles.
(If anyone happens to have a 9.24 they are scrapping with a good DHWHE in I could do with one for mine)

thanks for your reply and putting me straight on the micro switch i mainly install and my terminology of things eludes me any way have not tried the long nose pliers my instinct tells me its the diaphragm but it also looks a bit crusty around the whole valve it is the electronic one and the diverter is on the right as you look at the boiler i was thinking of replacing the whole thing first as last

Sound similar to mine then.
For £23 you can't go wrong (famous last words :D ) from the site I linked to for the diaphragm.

The manual should also be available on here somewhere if you search for it as someone had them all.

alls i can say is good luck on finding the parts and fixing it, without futher probs.

Why is that Holty?

As I have already pointed him to a site where the parts can be obtained, why are you so dubious about it?

It's a std diverter valve as used in many other combi boilers.
I have a 9.24 and I can get all the parts for mine, I have checked.

weres the site pls. most merchants i deal with round here hate the name 9.24 due to the hassel of getting the parts.and when iv worked on most other probs arise.just the experience iv had on them,thats all. just going through a faze of old wb getting on top of me at the mo. thing is, the water down here is very acidic and can kill a dhw cylinder in 4-5 years in some cases, so put that against the old wb parts e.g the isolators etc, no chance.never mind an old 9.24

There are several 9.24 models and on one you need to remove the gas valve to take out the whole diverter valve.

Somewhere I do have a long steel tube shaped sec HE from one of that style of boiler. However I would not recommend it to anyone as its quite easy to try to clean them and they are very heavy to post!

Main problem with 9.24 is that the fans are obsolete from Worcester although I did see another make boiler using the same fan ( but have forgotten what model it was! )

Tony

Did some of these have a fan Tony? (I assume you mean on the flue.)

Friend of mine has a 9.24 electronic, this has balanced flue. Seems a good boiler, had probs with HW flow being poor, after a Corgi engineer looked at it, damaged fascia lights and said it was obselete, we obtained new D.V. and friend repaired it himself by time I got there! He only needed to borrow a spanner from me as his adjustable didnt open wide enough. It needed an expansion vessel repressurise couple of years back, other than that still going strong.

Holty, the Diverters etc are available here

The rest I have found by googling.

My 9.24 BF has worked for the last millennium it appears, it is only just becoming problematic.
The current problem is overheating on DHW, a good clean out may solve it.
However I'm looking at a total replacement instead.

Did some of these have a fan Tony? (I assume you mean on the flue.)

A certain firm offers to recondition them and quotes a part number. Last time I looked it had been deleted from Parts Centre listing.

Worcester - 9.24 RSF - Fan
Product Name : Worcester 9.24 RSF Fan
Description :
Notes :
GC Number : 324941

Price: (Ex Del & VAT) £45.00
Price: (Inc Del & VAT) £60.95

Please Note: This is a reconditioned part exchange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back