Worcester Bosch 24i not firing from timer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am obviously looking for some guidance. I have an 18th Month old Worcester Bosch 24i. The problem appears to be when the temperature is low / cold outside the timer clock does not fire the boiler up. I have to manually click it to the "on" position. Then it works until I click it off - no problem there. I have searched through the information I can find and I have a similar post here on this forum however its not answered //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37036.

I hope you can save me getting home to a freezing house and a very very chilly morning run to the boiler.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Tomy,
Thats what I thought, however now the weather outside has warmed up below freezing the boiler and timer are doing fine. Has anyone come across anything simliar or do you think I should have it serviced and have an engineer check it out ?
Cheers
Andy

Hi again,
I had a Corgi registered engineer come round and service the boiler. He found no faults with the timer or any other part of the boiler. He did however come on a lovely sunny warm day. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them at all ? Or do you think I'm making it up about the cold weather affecting it ?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
cold outside the timer clock does not fire the boiler up. I have to manually click it to the "on" position. Then it works until I click it off - no problem there.

it has to be something on the timer :confused:

agreed must be intermitting timer fault cant see how the temperature would effect the workings of a timer.

OK So its happening again. However this time the hot water now does not fire the boiler whereas previously it did. It started this morning about 7am - Phoned the heating engineer who turned up at 1pm. However during the wait at midday I washed my hands and the hot water did fire the boiler and get hot. The engineer (different guy than before) found no fault however he seemed to suggest the PCB - however to me this does not seem like a PCB issue. Its a 2 year old boiler which was serviced five months ago. We do live in a hard water area however we have an inline scale reduction thing.

I'm stuck.

AndyJobson said:
OK So its happening again. However this time the hot water now does not fire the boiler whereas previously it did. It started this morning about 7am - Phoned the heating engineer who turned up at 1pm. However during the wait at midday I washed my hands and the hot water did fire the boiler and get hot. The engineer (different guy than before) found no fault however he seemed to suggest the PCB - however to me this does not seem like a PCB issue. Its a 2 year old boiler which was serviced five months ago. We do live in a hard water area however we have an inline scale reduction thing.

I'm stuck.

had a problem lately where the C/H would not fire up on timer on or auto but fired once I turned tap on . changed the thermisters and it solved the problem, both thermisters showed correct readings but worcester advised this and it worked a treat, I orginally thought PCB as well but this was what they advised.. didnt think thermisters myself but thats what was recommended and thats what cured it, cheap option to start with also but may not be the same symptons you have ??

The original 24i did have a fault as you described ,that was the gas valve sticking when cold in the mornings mainly on boilers fitted in the garage.When a second attempt is made it will fire as the first loosened up the gas valve.

Hi COG,
Thanks for your response. Are you suggesting replacing the gas valve or keeping the room warm so that the valve works first time ? Or is there another solution I'm overlooking ?

Thanks
Andy

Hello,
I just thought I'd post a closing couple of comments. In the end I paid Worcester Bosch to send an engineer out. He replaced the PCB. This ended my issue. :D Happy Days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back