Worcester Bosch 350 runs for 5 mins the shuts down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help.

I have a Worcester Bosch 350 Combi boiler that is probably 12 - 14 years old. This used to be serviced by WB on a regular basis before WB no longer wanted to know. The last time it was serviced by WB was probably 3 years ago, I have attempted to keep up the service myself by following WB's online service instructions. I was hoping to squeeze another 2 years out of the boiler before a total revamp. However the boiler has recently developed a problem.

The symptoms are that the boiler fires perfectly on demand from either the CH or the DHW but will then only run for exactly 5 minutes before shutting down. I then have to wait approx a similar length of time before attempting another relight which it will do perfectly well, only to trip again 5 minutes later. These times are fairly consistent. One other feature that I have noticed is that when the boiler is running for the CH and I turn on a hot water tap the boiler responds accordingly with increased burning 'whoomph' however soon as I turn off the hot water tap the boiler immediately trips as if it doesn't like any change in demand (pressure/flow?) The reasons for this tripping are not apparent to me. I should add that I do not have to reset the temperature switch on top to get the boiler away again. The pressure on the gauge (new) is 1.4bar and remains constant through out.

Getting to the limits of my knowledge I called in an 'expert' who 30 minutes later and 70 pounds lighter advised that the Ignition Card needed replacing. I asked him how certain on a scale of 1 to 10... an absolute 10 he exclaimed as I rushed out the door returning with a genuine brand new WB ignition card and another 140 pounds lighter. This was duly fitted by me but alas no difference! I called the expert back who then claimed its 'probably' the gas valve. That was the end of our dealings, I felt I couldn't support his gambling addiction any longer. Another well intentioned expert advised that it was probably the temperature sensors and that I should swap them about to prove this, alas no change. The latest expert advice that I am being offered is that it is probably the heat exchanger (I'm presuming the water to water one?) that is clogged up.

I should add that both pumps appear to be working fine, the air fan and pressure diff switch are also functioning correctly.

I'm getting quite desperate now as this involves the family getting cold and would appreciate genuine help in resolving the issue and that any guidance be limited to purely getting this boiler up and trucking without delay. I appreciate this is not easy from afar. Thanking you in advance.

Date 18-09-2013[/u]

Sponsored Links
Its not clear why YOU went and got and fitted the PCB.

You clearly had what we call a "parts changer" with no diagnostic skills!

The correct procedure is for the engineer to procure and fit the part. Then if it does not cure the fault you don't have to pay for it.

I suspect it may be a gas setting but we don't give advice on gas/combustion issues on this forum.

Tony

Thanks Tony for your rapid response, I should really be able to take the issue forward now.

Anyone else with any advice on what I should do rather than what I should't do, again thanks in advance,

Regards

Dave

Finally got to the bottom of my particular problem.....the gas valve needed replacing.

Although I would have felt comfortable physically changing it, I would suggest that you do what I did, that is get a qualified Engineer to change it. He had all the necessary meters to set it up and test it.

Hope this helps someone.

Yours the part changer

Sponsored Links
Any boiler fault needs correct diagnosis!

Parts changers don't know how to do that.

My view is that you should ask for the £70 back from the parts changer. You actually have a good case for asking for the £70 and the £140 !

Getting the £140 back though might be more difficult because you have not explained exactly why YOU went and bought the ignition pcb.

If you don't get the £70 back then I suggest you send him a warning letter and then take out a claim at the county court for both the £70 and the £140.

I don't like parts changers because they give the industry a bad name and the rest of us have to put up with people who don't trust us.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back