Worcester Bosch Combi Ignition Lockout

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan for your reply.

I've already made that call which left me with a £400 quote :/

I'm only looking for some help to locate and replace the flame sensing electrode before I cry and pay for the new boiler.

That's not very informative!

What was it you asked for to get a £400 quote?

Generally BG would be cheaper.

And probably Worcester themselves.

Tony

Hi Tony

I asked for the ignition lockout problem to be fixed, they quoted £400 to replace the pcb and flame sensing electrode including parts and labour. The engineer made a call to WB technical helpline and explained the symptoms and they probably said pcb OR flame sensing electrode.. so he quoted me for pcb AND electrode.. one of which will fix my problem.

I checked flame sensing electrodes are cheaper in price so thought I'd give them a go. Reading some forums people said it's am easy job so thought I'd get some help.

That's where I'm coming from.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but electrodes are an item that should only be replaced by a Gas Safe registered engineer and not a DIYer!

But any competent engineer should be able to check/test them anyway.

If the guy you called had to call Worcester, then he clearly does not have any diagnostic skills of his own. There is only one place to diagnose boiler faults and that's in front of the boiler!

Tony

Thanks All.

Ollski, Is it a DIY thing to replace the gas valve? I'm not a boiler expert but I do quite a lot of diy.

Please can someone also point me to some help in terms of how to replace the flame sensing electrode. The manual doesn't have anything in this regard.

Thanks.
Thanks All.

Ollski, Is it a DIY thing to replace the gas valve? I'm not a boiler expert but I do quite a lot of diy.

Please can someone also point me to some help in terms of how to replace the flame sensing electrode. The manual doesn't have anything in this regard.

Thanks.

No, definitely not DIY to replace the gas valve, or the flame sensing electrode, or anything else inside the sealed combustion chamber

Thanks Tony and Muggles. It's clear to me now that I shouldn't be doing it myself.

The reason I was wanting to replace flame sensing electrode first was because I observed that even when the flame is on (before ignition lockout happens) the spark electrodes keep on sparking.. that made me think that the sensor is possibly not recognising that the flame is on and hence the spark electrodes keep on sparking, and since it cannot detect the flame even further it disrupts the electricity to the gas valve which triggers the lockout.

Some boiler designs stop the spark immediately the flame is detected. Others don't!

If the flame is not detected within a fixed time of about 5 seconds the boiler assumes the flame has not lit and ceases powering the gas valve. That sequence is controlled by the PCB.

You need someone with diagnostic skills who is not what we call a "parts changer".

Tony Glazier

cowboy in your first post you said you had exactly the same fault as the op whose boiler was intermittently failing at random points so I say gas valve. now you say its failing to rectify which means pcb (poss. f/s electrode / reverse polarity). This is why its better to call someone in.

Thanks all for your help and useful comments pointing me in some direction as to what could be wrong.

I ordered new spark electrodes, gas valve and pcb thinking some combination is ought to solve the problem, and got someone in to do this;

Replace the spark electrode - issue persists.
Replace the gas valve - issue persists.
Replace the pcb - Yayyyy! The issue of ignition lockout is fixed but now the central heating is continuously on despite setting a very low temperature at the thermostat :( The gas engineer left saying the pcb is still faulty which is causing the CH to stay on and needs to be replaced again.

Took hours of reading to find out that the gas valve pressure setting on the pcb can cause this, confirmed from the service manual as well.

Opened the pcb and it was set to max ..arghhhhh! Set it to normal and happy days!

Thanks all, you are all awesome!

Thanks All.

Thanks.
TO: OP Cowboy-diy
if you read the site rules (I know, who does?) you will see we are not allowed to give specifc gas work advice.
Probably because of the risk of cowboys reading it:)
Changing a gas valve is not a diy job.It needs setting up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back