Worcester CDi 24 combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mother in law called me saying when running the hot water tap/shower the radiators were heating up.
Got there and pressure gauge reading zero so tried topping it up but reading didn't move.
looked online as saw the end gets blocked and a video on how to remove/clean.

I undone the white plastic hexagon drain nut but no water came out.
Removed the retainer clip and pulled out the end of the pressure gauge and again no water came out. I cleaned the end up pushed a needle in to clear the opening out and replaced everything but still no reading on gauge which i suppose it to be expected given that there was no water in there to begin with.
Question is why no water come out when trying to drain, is something blocked elsewhere and could that be related to her hot water/radiator issues?

What would be her best option going forward, local repairer or direct with Worcester?
The boiler is 20 years old but no previous issues at all.
Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Your diverter valve malfunctioning is the cause of the rads heating when hot water is running. Nothing to do with low pressure / gauge etc. They need sorting out too.You need an engineer .

Sponsored Links
Your diverter valve malfunctioning is the cause of the rads heating when hot water is running. Nothing to do with low pressure / gauge etc. They need sorting out too.You need an engineer .
Thank you.
That does seem to be the case, but reading about the challenge/cost of changing the diverter valve, coupled with the pressure valve problem and why there was no water when releasing the drain valve, would it be better to get a fixed cost Worcester repair or just a local engineer?

Boiler is 20 years old ,maybe worth considering replacement. Bit like old cars ,once you start spending money on repairs it can be an ongoing saga.
If you do decide to have it repaired you would be better off with a fixed price from Worcester

By this age they often need the diverter, filling link assembly, auto air vent and expansion vessel...the isolating valves are notorious (you work with the system full of water and never use them as the spindle seals leak for fun and then it's another ballache). Very few boiler engs. will want to take on the job as it's rarely straightforward. See if Worcester will take it on, out of frustration they will often throw even more parts at them for an easy life.

Last one I did....

By this age they often need the diverter, filling link assembly, auto air vent and expansion vessel...the isolating valves are notorious (you work with the system full of water and never use them as the spindle seals leak for fun and then it's another ballache). Very few boiler engs. will want to take on the job as it's rarely straightforward. See if Worcester will take it on, out of frustration they will often throw even more parts at them for an easy life.

Last one I did....

Wow there's not a lot left there.
I'll ring her later and ask what she wants doing.
Just looked at Worcester fixed price repair and it's from £298 hopefully that would cover what's wrong.
Similar new boiler prices £1000 ish plus fitting whatever that cost would be.
Hmmm decisions decisions.
Thanks anyway

Just been on to WB to check whats included in their fixed price repair, but they have recently stopped doing it due to backlog with covid.

Anyone got a rough price for the cost of diverter valve replacement please?

Priced up a new boiler on Boxt but because she lives in a bungalow and flue exits sloping roof it's getting on for £2400 which she cant afford.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back