Worcester Central Heating Constantly Switches On and Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope that some kind soul out there might help me with a Problem with a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler. The system is controlled by a "Lifestyle 711" timeswitch (standard two timer on /offs per day program))and I have a single thermastat in the hall.
Problem is that when the thermostat is turned down so that it is "off" the Central heating part of the boiler keeps firing up for a few seconds and then switches off after a few seconds and then on and then off..... etc.
If the electronic timer is "off" then no problem or if the themostat is "on" it works fine and heats the water like normal. No problem with the hot water in the taps.
I thought it might be the timer unit so fitted a new one..... no change and still had same problem.
Havnt looked at the wall thermostat and have to say its pretty old but can hear click on and off as you rotate it. Also when the problem is happening it doesnt click on and off constantly so dont think it is that... that said could be wrong!!!
Any ideas would be really appreciated . Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler getting hot?
Turn power off and wait for it to cool right down, then when you turn on see ifit stays on longer (getting hot) that if it's been on a while.

COuld be water flow switch faulty /sticking.

Does the CH work ok if you turn it up?

HI Chris .firstly thank for taking the time to reply.... appreciated :)
The CH works fine if the timer and room thermostat are on.... so that is good I guess if I dont get it sorted by "winter" :)
The problem is when the timer is on either on timer setting or simply "on" and the room thermostat is tuned down to really low or effectively off. For some bizare reason the boiler keeps on firing up for a few seconds and then offf.. then on then off etc. It is heating up the radiators (obviously not hot as its only on / off all the time)
Will turn it all off tonight. so it cools right down and then see in the morning what it does when I turn it on.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well I left the whole system turned off all night at the mains switch so it was stone cold. Turned it back on and first 7 or 8 clicks it was the same... ie on for a second and then off for a second. On 8 or ninth time the burner CH light and ignition light came on abd could hear burner ignite... it stayed on for probably a couple of minutes before going off. Then went back to on off every few seconds. Dont know if this helps but exact sequence of the lights coming on and off is. CH light on ... second later ignition... second later ignition light off.... CH light off.
Does that help or give any clues??
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back