Worcester Greenstar 15ri Pressure

It wasn't empty, but it seemed to need some more water. It was tricky to see in the loft - it's not in an easy-reach place.

We have BG coming out on Thursday, fingers crossed they can sort it
Maybe you overfilled it so it had just overflowed.

Busted valve seems a likely problem. No need for a new valve if so, a new head (or rather just its motor) will likely fix it. BG will just switch the head on it though i imagine.

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
I have the zone valve in "Man Open" rather than "Auto"
stop calling it a zone valve, a zone valve has 2 ports and acts differently, you have a 3 port mid position valve, important when you are ordering the actuator if that is indeed your problem, but you describe rumblings so doubt it is the mid position valve

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
stop calling it a zone valve, a zone valve has 2 ports and acts differently, you have a 3 port mid position valve, important when you are ordering the actuator if that is indeed your problem, but you describe rumblings so doubt it is the mid position valve

I'm sorry, I'm not a plumber and am learning as I go here. Just trying to keep the heating on as best I can until Thursday.
Someone further up had mentioned a zone valve and google searches look just like the silver box in picture 8 on my original post

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'm not a plumber and am learning as I go here. Just trying to keep the heating on as best I can until Thursday.
So meone further up had mentioned a zone valve and google searches look just like the silver box in picture 8 on my original post
yes but the person that called it a zone valve doesnt know any better, yes the "silver box" actuators on both are similar to look at but are completely different in how they work and how they fault.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywel...torised-valve-22mm-22mm-compression/31480#_=p is a zone valve

https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-home-v4073a-3-port-motorised-valve-22mm-22mm-compression/31421 mid position valve with 3 connecting pipes which is what you have

Sponsored Links
yes but the person that called it a zone valve doesnt know any better, yes the "silver box" actuators on both are similar to look at but are completely different in how they work and how they fault.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywel...torised-valve-22mm-22mm-compression/31480#_=p is a zone valve

https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-home-v4073a-3-port-motorised-valve-22mm-22mm-compression/31421 mid position valve with 3 connecting pipes which is what you have
Actually i do.

The three port mid position valve switches between two zones. Hw and Ch.

Its nit picking really....

The three port mid position valve switches between two zones. Hw and Ch.

Its nit picking really....
nope because the op described gurgling which could indicate that a zone valve might not be opening, so no circulation, but on a mid position valve there is always at least one port open so there is always circulation, hence why an S plan requires a by-pass and a Y plan doesnt, among other differences

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Well, if we want to go properly technical....

The valve is technically a: screwed, 3 way, actuated, plug/ball* valve to give it its technical name as one would specify in industrial parlance.

Some people say motorized instead of actuated which i would argue is incorrect, but its clearly not a manual valve so the meaning is understood.
Some people would say 3 port instead of 3 way, again, i would think this incorrect but the meaning is obvious.
Mid-position isn't really something i would expect on a valve id. It is just one of the porting configurations (AB) that the valve can do. Some 3 way valves only select A or B, some don't.
I can't find out if the valves are plug or ball. I suspect plug, but when specifying a valve, this is probably the most important identification to have, which, ironically, these don't have.

I wouldn't be using vendor nomenclature either. Mostly, vendors are resellers of a base stock. EPH for instance call this valve a 3 port motorised valve!

TL;DR? : Call it what you wan't. just make sure you order it correctly :)

Oh dear :rolleyes: some very passionate replies - thank you for all of them!

We've managed to keep things on by resetting all plugs and switches whenever the boiler didn't fire. So we've at least kept the kids warm!

BG have just been. It was in fact said valve in picture 8 (called whatever you'd like to call it!).
The valve was stuck and struggling to turn when called upon by the heating system.
He's given it a nudge and is happy that it's flowing freely now (or, as it's meant to).

He also checked the boiler over (and reprimanded me appropriately for removing the cover myself) and is happy that it's not about to keel over.
He deffo put my mind at rest that it should last a long while yet.

Thank you again for thoughts and advice. Very much appreciated (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back