Worcester Greenstar 42CDI ocassionally not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my boiler, a Worcester Greenstar 42CDI installed in 2008.
Ocassionally, it doesn't fire up when the thermostat sends in the signal. The thermostat displays the flame and on the receiver unit next to the boiler, I can see the Heating LED being ON - this goes ON at the same time with the thermostat, so I assume the signal is received properly.
However, the boiler doesn't fire - the flame LED on the boiler doesn't light up and the boiler is not working.

If I manually lower the temperature until the flame is not displayed and then increase it again, effectively re-sending the signal, most of the time it works.

But if I don't do that, it stays in this state and the temperature drops.
Very unpleasant as sometimes the house is really cold in the middle of the night and in the morning and I have to go downstairs to set it off again.

Most of the time, the boiler works though, so the problem is very intermittent.

The hot water is not affected by this, only heating.

Are there any known technical problems/gotchas with this model? Any known solutions? Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Worcester boilers are generally fairly reliable and the effect of that is that I dont get called to many of them.

Does your model not have an LCD screen displaying the status?

I did go to one 2-3 years ago and decided it was an intermittent PCB fault but that one was under warrantee.

Perhaps some of those who install a lot of Worcesters may have further information.

Tony

Sounds like your having communication problem between RF room stat and receiver.

Might be batteries in room stat need changing.

Hi,

Ocassionally, it doesn't fire up when the thermostat sends in the signal. The thermostat displays the flame and on the receiver unit next to the boiler, I can see the Heating LED being ON - this goes ON at the same time with the thermostat, so I assume the signal is received properly.

Many thanks,
Mike

I had interpreted that to mean that the receiver is correctly responding?

But the boiler is apparently intermittently failing to start up.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wire in a proper wired thermostat. Non of this wireless nonsense
and see if the problem goes away.

Thank you very much for your quick replies.

Just to confirm, the wireless receiver seems to be working. The heating LED on the wireless receiver is in sync with the sender. So I'm not sure how much a wired thermostat would help. I'd like to avoid the wires unless there's no other solution.

It might the signal gets "lost" between the receiver and the boiler unit. Because if I trigger it again, it works.
Googling for this problem, I know older Worcester models had some similar issues, but I couldn't find anything specific for this model.

Again, this only happens occasionally, most of the time the boiler is working properly - which is frustrating, the fact I can't reproduce the problem consistently makes calling an engineer a waste of time.

Thanks,
Mike

Agile, the model has an LCD unit where it displays the pressure.
No error codes or anything unusual is displayed when it gets in this state.

Thank you very much for your quick replies.

Just to confirm, the wireless receiver seems to be working. The heating LED on the wireless receiver is in sync with the sender. So I'm not sure how much a wired thermostat would help. I'd like to avoid the wires unless there's no other solution.

It might the signal gets "lost" between the receiver and the boiler unit. Because if I trigger it again, it works.
Googling for this problem, I know older Worcester models had some similar issues, but I couldn't find anything specific for this model.

Again, this only happens occasionally, most of the time the boiler is working properly - which is frustrating, the fact I can't reproduce the problem consistently makes calling an engineer a waste of time.

Thanks,
Mike

Exactly so wire in a wired thermostat right next to the boiler and eliminate
the wireless thermostat as the possible cause of the problem.
If it works ok with a simple wired thermostat right next to the boiler.
You have your answer.

I would use diagnostic techniques!

Thats measuring the voltage across the outlet connections of the receiver ( RX ) unit.

If the output is correct then when activated there will be virtually zero volts if the contacts are of low resistance.

A possible fault is that although the RX is responding the contact resistance may be intermittently too high to bring on the boiler.

Tony.

the rf unit is intermitt faulting! this can be caused by wireless internet and all sorts of other things. Either take it closer to the boiler , hard wire a stat/clock
or go for the new improved unit which has a better antannae and you can check signal strngth on it!

if its in warranty get WB out

I have to disagree with that based on the OP's opening statement.

The fault lies within the external controls , as was said dump the RF reciever in favour of hard wired , if the boiler was at fault you would see a code flashing on display.

I've been quoted by worcester 315 pounds (or 369 to get 12 months warranty).
My main concern is ... what if the engineer cannot find the problem (it's intermittent after all) and dismisses it as "no problem" and I still have to fork out the money. Plus I know the boiler has a problem, even if it's difficult to reproduce on demand.

Can I get some honest advice? How are engineers handling the situation above - in general? Is the fix price standard procedure? I am also concerned that he might say the RF unit needs new batteries and I'll have to pay 300+ for that. Somehow I'm thinking - pay for cheaper diagnostics first - if that doesn't fix the issue, pay for a "fix price + warranty"
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying if the problem is fixed!
A confused customer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back