worcester greenstar boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised to have the worcester greenstar 28i boiler.

I have looked at the dials and see that I can only control the central heating temperature,when I feel I would like to also control the tap water as well, which are available on the 30Si

what are the differences from the i to the Si and the cdi and would it make any difference having a 30 instead of a 28 boiler

I have 12 radiators including 2 doubles and approximately 50,000 btu

Sponsored Links
You should really be asking your installer these questions, as we can't fit your boiler over the internet. It always helps to ask your installers a few questions, as you can judge their familiarity and experience with the products.

The Si has the HW volume knob, and is set up to give an extra kw or two compared to the iJunior.

The iJunior is basically built as cheap as Worcester can make them, and was designed with social housing applications in mind, where margins are thin.

However, the British public often want the cheapest deal, and us installers have to give them what they want. Consequently, there are far more iJuniors sold than Si to domestic users.

The CDi is a Junkers German boiler, is much larger physically, and is better made. But it costs more, unsurprisingly.

A 30 boiler would deliver slightly more hot water litres/min than the 28Kw version. It would only be a subtle difference though, and subject to your water supply keeping up.

Has your cold water flow & pressure been checked & measured. What warranty has been offered on the boiler. What ancillaries have also been offered on the quote.

The hot water temperature on the I Junior is dependent upon the cold water mains incoming temperature. In short the water will be hotter in summer compared to winter.

Also you mention radiators, but what about bathrooms, ensuites etc?

I have 2 bathrooms 1 with bath toilet & wash basin, the second has an electric shower toilet and wash basin.

the installer has offered me 6 years parts and labour.

With the 28i not sounding as good a boiler as the Si or the Cdi would it be advisable for me to request the installer to install one of these instead of th 28i, and are the i range not as reliable as the Si and Cdi.

I did not ask for a quote for a cheap boiler just asked for a quote to replace my broken down alpha

Sponsored Links
Personally I would advise my clients, budget and cold water flow permitting, to upsize boiler output. If you are a family the chance of more than one hot water draw off being used is quite high. If you are a couple only then probably look at the Greenstar 30si. I have not had many reliability issues with Worcester boilers, but they will be a pig to work on.

More importantly what ancillaries has been quoted to protect the boiler i.e Limescale Reducer, Magnetic System Filter, Fernox/Sentinel Chemicals etc. A manufacturer will look favourably on an installation if care has been taken to protect the boiler.

Also look at quality alternatives, the Viessmann 35kw combi is about £150 cheaper than the Worcester 37cdi.

So the choice is yours. I offer my clients the option of Worcester, Viessman or a 3rd choice albeit budget or like for like comparison.

I have been advised to have the worcester greenstar 28i boiler.
That is a budget boiler. Whoever told you that, is not expert on quality installs.

Don't waste your time finding all the answers yourself, it's the installer's job to do that for you.
Find a good installer and let him get on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back