worcester greenstar highflow 440 tank leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
boiler has sprung a leak. The water tank attached to it has apparently rusted from the inside out creating a small hole. Had silly quotes amounting to 600 from a local plumber to 750 from worcester. The tank costs 500 new. We cant afford to spend so much on it but obviously we need heating. Does anyone know if you can somehow bypass the water tank? Or does anyone know where I could get a 2nd hand tank?

Sponsored Links
Thought Worcester offered fixed price repair?, BG do as well I think it would be 380 for the 2 hour + one off option.

Do you not know any welders ?

Thought Worcester offered fixed price repair?, BG do as well I think it would be 380 for the 2 hour + one off option.
yea I went for the worcester "1 off repair" for 260, the engineer took 1 look at it and said it'll need a new tank which'll be 550 on top of the 260 ive just been charged for a 5 min call out , and a weeks wait for the part !
I'm waiting on worcester to review the call as I was told the tank would probably be covered and a spare 1 would be in the van!

Sponsored Links
is that what it would take? Couldnt rip the tank out and throw some connecting copper pipes in ? I just wonder if the tank is required?

It needs the tank, it's an integral part of the boiler.
It's a pig of a job, last one I did took 3-4hrs.

Voilà, here's one I did earlier.
View media item 42251
The repair from BG would be £399 or slightly more in London and South east.

What would u say to Worcester? I mean its a £2.5k boiler. Ok its 9 years old but for a major part to rust through says poor quality to me. Is it a common fault?

Depends what state your system water is in.

The store is steel so if the water quality isn't good, it will corroded quicker. It's not a common fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back