Worcester Greenstar Ri - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am looking for some help please.

One of my Wife's clients has an issue with a leaking rad, He is receiving end of life treatment at home and he has a large medical bed that appears to have been pushed into the TRV, snapped the head off and damaged the pipe work. I went round yesterday to replace the TRV for them as their plumber cant get out for 3 weeks - His wife was really worrying as he needs the heating due to really feeling the cold.

Problem is that the pipe is all bent and dented from the impact of the bed and would seem that there is a hollow spot behind the olive causing the leak. I whacked off the boiler, locked all the other rads off in the bungalow and began to drain down, Assuming it was a combi..., only 10 mins later im still getting full chat pressure.

I am not a plumber, im a chippy that isnt scared of plumbing and would like to help this couple out.

What i want to know is this.

"How do i depressurise a Greenstar Ri system"

The Greenstar Ri, im now guessing is a heating only boiler and regulates its own pressure from a constant mains cold feed? - I cant see any filling loop nor a pressure gauge; as i am draining down the mains feed is topping it back up? I need to take the pressure out of the system to change the TRV and copper tail (need to get under the floor, niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) How do i do this?

I could whack the mains off to the house? but surly there has to be an easy way? I cant see anything under the boiler other than a grub screw type valve on a 15mm copper pipe - i suspect thats nothing and the mains feed IN will be on a header tank in the loft?

I assume there will be a header tank in the loft but cant confirm, just yet.

Please, no "get a a plumber in" comments.

Cheers muckkas/.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why why why? You haven't got a clue and you risk causing more damage. Just call out a heating eng. before you wreck the boiler too.
So far you've probably screwed up the balancing, by touching the other rad valves risked them leaking and potentially drawn a load of debris into the system by failing to check the F&E cistern. For a pro there's every chance the repair could be carried out without a drain down.

• Thanks
Reactions: oph
there was no balancing, all lock shields were wide open.

I hear what you are saying none the less. i will pass on your comments and let her make her decision.

sounds like it is an open vent system , the Ri can be open vent or sealed, find out who she buys her gas from and call them, they have a scheme where end of life patients get free repairs , paid for by a scheme that they have to contribute to, she wont have to pay anything

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,
All sorted, header tank was in the loft - isolated that off then just froze the flow and return under the floor and wazzed the screwed bit of pipework off and replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back