Worcester Heatslave 12/14 question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a worcester heatslave 12/14, it has 2 pipes coming out of the boiler and heading upstairs, they also provide the flow and return for the radiators.

Does this mean that the hot and cold water for upstairs also go up these pipes and if so how is it that the water for the central heating and the water for the taps does not mix?

I know that the hot water demand overides the central heating from reading the manual, but it doesn't explain much more than that!

Please can someone explain in learner speak, I'm just curious, I am new to plumbing, started my course in September and not covered central heating yet so sorry if this is obvious to others
!

Sponsored Links
Is this the oil fired combi?
If so, two 22mm pipes provide the flow and return for the radiators; one 15mm pipe is the cold water inlet, another 15mm pipe is the hot water outlet to the taps, another 15mm pipe is the pressure relief valve outlet to outside the building.
John :)

Sponsored Links
what I can see at the back of the boiler is 2 pipes going from the wall into the boiler, one I presume to be mains water in and one maybe somekind of overflow/pressure release? also the oil pipe.

There is 1 pipe coming out of the boiler quite high up at the back and going up the wall, it has another pipe coming off it to the radiatior nearby, so I am presuming flow of hot water to radiators and hot water to upstairs?

There is another pipe coming out of the boiler and going over towards the kitchen sink.

The other pipe that is going up the wall looks to be the radiator return pipe as it also has a pipe to the radiator, it comes down to a T junctionat the back of the boiler and then comes accross and in lower down.

I can understand if the hot water uses the same pipe as the radiator flow pipe as there manual siad that the demand for hot water overides the heating, but is this correct and how does the cold water get upstairs to the bathroom? does it use these pipes too or does it get there another way?

I feel a bit stupid asking these questions if they are elementary plumbing but as I said I've only just started and asking questions is the best way to learn!!

what I can see at the back of the boiler is 2 pipes going from the wall into the boiler, one I presume to be mains water in and one maybe somekind of overflow/pressure release? also the oil pipe.

There is 1 pipe coming out of the boiler quite high up at the back and going up the wall, it has another pipe coming off it to the radiatior nearby, so I am presuming flow of hot water to radiators and hot water to upstairs?

There is another pipe coming out of the boiler and going over towards the kitchen sink.

The other pipe that is going up the wall looks to be the radiator return pipe as it also has a pipe to the radiator, it comes down to a T junctionat the back of the boiler and then comes accross and in lower down.

I can understand if the hot water uses the same pipe as the radiator flow pipe as there manual siad that the demand for hot water overides the heating, but is this correct and how does the cold water get upstairs to the bathroom? does it use these pipes too or does it get there another way?

I feel a bit stupid asking these questions if they are elementary plumbing but as I said I've only just started and asking questions is the best way to learn!!

:idea: Why not lift the top cover off the boiler and have a look how the pipes are connected inside the case!! from your question you really have just started!! and seem worryingly un-informed! :confused:

thanks everyone, yes I have only just started but don't worry I'm not planning on doing anything to it, just inquisitive!

am going to move the washing machine now to try and track the pipes and see how the hot water gets upstairs!

Just an update, after looking again behind the washing machine and under the sink etc, we finally found the pipes, plastered into the wall and going down under the tiled kitchen floor, so god knows which way they go after that, hope there isn't a problem with the pipes or floor in the future!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back