Worcester HeatSlave Boiler - Sticking Synchronous Motor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Worcester Heat Slave 20/25 oil fired combi boiler.

Recently it developed an intermittent fault where it fails to start up when the timer switches it on for Hot Water.

It makes an clicking noise, but does not fire the burner or the pump ?

I was wondering if it could be the synchronous motor jamming in the divertor valve ? As I understand it the default setting ( parked position ) for the divertor valve is for the Central Heating

Switching the fused spur on and off clears the problem ?

Can any one help ?

Sponsored Links
I don't see what a faulty sync motor would prevent it firing up.

You may need a good boiler engineer!

Do you ever get it serviced?

Tony

Very, Very old Heatslaves had a diverter that failed to CH, but 99% of them fail to Hot Water, the Diverter has no auxiliary micro-switches fitted and so Cannot cause a fault where the Burner fails to operate. is the Timeswitch the built in one?? if so I suspect that is where the fault may lay! ;)

Does switching the thing off and then back on clear the problem every time?
Just a thought, a dud photocell may confuse the burner that it is actually running when it isn't, and a faulty motor capacitor may prevent the motor from spinning on start up.
Neither fault should give any diagnosis headache.....!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Many thanks for your replies.

The built in time switch did fail and I replaced it with a new one about 20 months ago and it seems to have been fine ???

I agree that the boiler needs a service.

What does the photocell do ? Is it changed during the service ?

Yes - recycling the mains power clears the fault.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back