Worcester junior 24i/28i replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a worcester junior boiler - i forget whether it is a 24 or 28i but I dont think that will matter for this post (I can find out later if needed!)

Its about 5-6 years old.
A couple of years ago, we got a gas smell from the boiler - called out the gas board, got it all, shut down, checked out, serviced, no problem found.

Kept using it - got the gas smell again a couple of months later - realised the water pressure was at zero when it occurred. Filled it up, got someone to check it out, - the bag that needs inflating was full of water (sorry dont know its technical name). No leaks found, engineer pumped the water out.

Month later - gas smell, water pressure zero. The bag was ok this time and didnt need pumping up. Boiler serviced, nothing found.

Water pressure started dropping more frequently, weekly, gas smell each time pressure at zero got boiler checked, nothing found. various gas engineers have come each time, they can smell a gassy smell, but leak detectors bring up nothing. No leaks found from any radiators / pipework

Ended up putting some of the fernox leak sealer in the central heating system 6months ago. That sorted the pressure drop, and the gas smell......

.....until yesterday.... No drop in water pressure, but a very very faint gas smell, that went went away just as soon as it was noticed.

Not sure on the best way to proceed with this - would a new boiler likely end these troubles? I'm pretty sure any gas engineer wont find anything wrong (we've tried 3 different ones)
Dunno if this is some kind of exhaust/vent issue? a valve not shutting off?

thoughts appreciated.
James

Sponsored Links
Could be a failed heat exchanger leaking out of the condensate. Do you know what tests have been carried out? For example, isolating the boiler overnight to see if the pressure still drops, putting a bag over the pressure relief pipe to see if it's passing etc etc? What were the results of such tests?

It probably is a boiler issue, so a new boiler would probably fix it, but it's an expensive route to go down wren there might be a simpler, cheaper option available to you

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
thanks. We certainly did the 'bag on the pressure relief pipe' experiment and saw nothing coming out of there. nothing.
Ill scan through the old reports seeif i can add further info.
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back