Worcester 28i Junior Combi smells while running

1-flue needs to be sealed where it passes through the wall if a cavity wall sealed on both inside and outside.plaster for inside.sand and cement for outside.
if no attempt has been made to seal these gaps poc can creap into the bathroom,also making good the gaps also holds the flue in position.
2-check plastic cap on flue turret is hand tight and has a rubber seal inside it.

there you go.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I checked the flue test point and it seems fine.

I'll get the installer back before sealing up the holes just in case it needs to be removed.

CORGI would consider the installation "At Risk" if the flue hole has not been hard sealed at least on one side.

I am becoming concerned abouit the standard of work from this installer.

Did he notify CORGI who would have posted you a blue certificate?

Tony

CORGI would consider the installation "At Risk" if the flue hole has not been hard sealed at least on one side.

Tony

do you think the installers neighbour would pop over for a look?

Sponsored Links

Tony

Yes he notified CORGI, and I received a building compliance notice. I think I actually received two certificates because CORGI sent out the wrong ones to start with (gas safety certificate).

Unfortunately the only bit of the installation I missed was him hanging the boiler on the wall frame and attaching the flue, for every other stage I was there, he was explaining what he was doing and why and showing me how it should be done. The job probably would have taken half the time if he hadn't have been teaching me as he was going along... Pity the bit I missed was the bit that seems to be causing problems :confused:

I turned the boiler on, ran the hot tap this morning and had a look outside and it does look as if the plume comes back on itself and hits the wall around where it comes through the wall. If the two collars either side of the wall are not sufficient, it looks quite plausible that this could be causing the smells.

but lets get it in perspective the whole job sounds like a Rolls Royce job compared to the fluing standardsin the london Borough's of Hackney council blocks. Even without washing on the line POC will creap back in through the front door directly adgacent to the flue.

Or Westminster council's cowboy installers' forgetfulness about blocking proximal air vents and not sealing round flue. not to mention their forgetfulness about completing the condensate drain to building regs i am sure when they let it drip onto pavement or walkway (depending on level in block of flats that was only a temporary measure.

Then in Ealing the use of internal flue pipe for great lenghts externally.

Anyone would think there are no corgi inspectors in London at all and all the Clerk's of work's are corrupt?

My point being don't beat this bloke up when the real crimes arein council properties and nobody seems to have any interest in doing anything about it.

Meanshile corgi will land on an individual trying to scratch a living through the heavy weight of excessive costs due to equipment training membership of bodies and insurance requirements of our trade today from a great hight for "not terminating his condensate below the leaf level". Yes that is all he could find. If I was an inspector i would have shook the installers hand and said great to see someone geting it 99.99% right and 100% right in all areas conscerning the Gas Safety Installation and use Regs. Now I'd better go because i understand there are a load of badliy installed council jobs in London with apauling fluing standards and since we corgi inspectors are about safety we've decided todesent from a great hight on the Clerks of works!

The reality of the situation is that the rubber gasket seals are considered adequate by the manufacturers and are used in many European countries. If properly fitted they rarely leak.

In the UK its only CORGI who demand that we hard seal the flue hole. Its not required by any legislation. However, its not a bad idea and I support this CORGI requirement.

However, your installer has not done that part of the installation as required by CORGI. You can call him back or you can fill the gaps yourself.

Its unlikely that sealing the flue will have any effect on anything that you can smell. I cannot guess what it is that you think you can smell.

Tony

Whether to hard seal the flue to the wall is open to interpretation. The manufacturer will cite BS5440-1:2000 in their literature but the standard is not sufficiently specific however, it would be best practice to seal both inner and outer wall faces in addition to fitment of the supplied weathering collars.

Provided I can't see daylight around the flue (from the inside), the hole is not too ragged, and there is little chance of re-entry of combustion products I will just mark un-sealed flues as NCS.

From BS5440:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back