Worcester Ri Boiler keeps firing (with Megaflo cylinder)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worcester Greenstar Ri Boiler with an unvented cylinder(Megaflo)

The boiler seems to heat up water without a problem. It reaches a point when it stops burning gas and the indicator light switches off, which I think it is normal. To me it means that all the water in the cylinder has reached an ideal temperature.

The problem is that after about three minutes when this happens, the boiler fires again, burns some gas for about 30 seconds (the indicator light on). Then after this, the indicator light switches off and it stops burning gas. After 3 more minutes it repeats the same process ( boiler fires and burn some gas for 30 seconds, then switches off and fires 3 minutes after). It does this indefinitely. No one in the house is using hot water, there are no leaks and the central heating is not on.

A certified Megaflo engineer checked the cylinder and the valves that it uses a couple of days ago, and told me that the fact that the boiler was firing even when it was not necessary, is not related to the Megaflo cylinder. He mentioned that the Megaflo is sending the signal to the boiler to switch on when required, and if the boiler is firing without reason, then the problem is to do with the boiler.

I'm not too convinced with his explanation, and would like to get a second opinion about the issue.

Sponsored Links
Probably getting 240 v coming back from one of the valves as I'm guessing it's configured with 2 x 2 port motorised valves, if so just need to replace the faulty head. If you have a 3 way valve and a 2 way you may find that the 3 port is back feeding about 70v back to the boiler which will bring it on, the fix for that is a surpressor from Worcester.

Thank you so much for your response.

I can see two valves as the one in the picture attached. I think one is for the central heating bit and the other one for the cylinder.

I guess that then the fix would be replacing the faulty head?

In your opinion, is this something that the Megaflo technician should have noticed and fixed? I didn't feel that he did too much for finding where the problem was and to fix it. I paid a fixed rate for getting him in to deal with the problem and he said he couldn't do anything to fix it himself - he is from a established company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back