Work on chip board floor prior to laying 12 mm Ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fixing the above onto chipboard prior to laying tiles. The chip board is in good condition and seems fairly secure. It does make the odd squeek, do I need to try and secure the chipboard further by adding a few screws or will the ply securely screwed to the chip board do the job. I am a tad paranoid about screwing through a water pipe so would prefer not to have to screw the chip to the joist blind.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
It does make the odd squeek, do I need to try and secure the chipboard further by adding a few screws.

You could try some talc where the squeaks are if you are unable to get rid if them.

I am a tad paranoid about screwing through a water pipe so would prefer not to have to screw the chip to the joist blind.

cheers.

Normally chipboard flooring is 18-25mm so with you 12mm ply the min depth will be 30mm,25mm screws will be fine and not penetrate though into pipe work.

You can also add a bit of grab adhesive before laying the ply but I have always found screws to be plenty good enough ;)

2 "profffeeessionals" been to this post and not spotted the wood talked about is chipboard?

dont tile on chipboard fernando.

Sponsored Links
Time off for good behaviour lance? ;) Where's ya bin?

Moved house at end of nov mate and only just got internet connected,glad you missed me enough too mention it ;)

Think you misread the post Jeff he wants to ply over the chipboard :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back