Work surface trim.......Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a kitchen work surface and need to add trim to the edge. I bought a roll of matching ? plastic trim. How do I stick this on.....someone has told me to IRON it on. Really?

Sponsored Links
Yes, really, assuming it's the type with a hot-glue backing layer.

If not, and the trim is heavy duty laminate, it will need to be cut to size then stuck on with contact adhesive and finally trimmed with s flat, single cut file

Thanks Alec-t. It doesn't have a hot glue backing layer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JobAndKnock....I think it must be heavy duty laminate. Okay, so contact adhesive is the way to go.....but what is a s flat, single cut file? Wouldn't a pair of sharp scissors do? I'm very neat.

You simply cannot cut hard laminate with a pair of scissors, let alone trim it. Does the trim you have been supplied with have a brown or black rear side? Is the top surface of the edging strip the same pattern as the worktop surface?

By flat, single cut file I mean just that - a metalworking file about 8 to 10 inches (200 to 250mm) long, flat (as opposed to half round, rat tail, triangular or square shape) with single cut teeth (teeth running diagonally across the body in one direction only,not criss crossed). It needs a handle fitted to avoid injury

Thanks for advice JobAndKnock. I did cut it to length with a pair of sharp scissors. It has a beige underside as you can see. It was quite easy to cut to length. Never having used a metal working file I'm a bit dubious about using one. Thanks very much for your advice though. Much appreciated. I am going to get some proper adhesive tomorrow.....and.......stick it on!
P1100208.JPG
P1100209.JPG

The cut (chipboard) edge of the worktop may require two coats before applying the laminate because it is very absorbent - the first coat normally just seals the chipboard but won't give you much "sticking power". Note that with contact adhesive you need to coat both surfaces and leave them to dry for 10 to 15 minutes before joining them. This requires a bit of care and patience. Start from the back edge leaving a bit of an overhang on both edges

Thanks JobAndKnock......I didn't even consider how absorbent it might be but yes, I can see that the area looks quite porous. I might have a bit of care and patience! (I've got a bag of it in my toolbox). Start-from-back-edge-and-leave-a-bit-of-an-overhang-on-both-edges......that's today's mantra! I'll be singing it by this evening. But first this does involve a 22 mile round trip to get the adhesive. Sod's law......
Thanks for your help.

Another tip. You can use a small offcut of laminate as a glue spreader.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back