I screwed up - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps

I have assembled some MFI kitchen units, the finish of which is a light beech colour (i.e. on the doors and trim). However, I forgot to have the plain chipboard edge facing the front when I assembled them, which I now realise is necessary for applying the iron-on trim tape.

So, what I have is a finished brown edge showing at the front (brown being what I guess should be facing the rear).

Is there any way that I can still apply the tape to the smooth brown face? What if I sand it a bit then just attempt to iron on the trim, or should I use PVA adhesive, or is all lost?

Many thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Where on the cabinets are we talking about? do you mean the edge that the door closes against? if so, i wouldn't think it matters what colour this is, i would expect this brown edge is supposed to face the front, and the unfinished edge on the back. When we did ours a few years ago, there was no need to iron on laminate for these edges, cabinets are usually finished in a generic beech or white colour anyway.

It you're really fussy (and your kitchen was supplied with enough laminate), then sure, give it a light sanding and iron on the laminate, but this is very time consuming for very little reward, and it might start to chip off after a few months of hitting it with pots and pans.

Thanks Crafty - yes, you are right about the edge I'm refering to. The kitchen came supplied with several rolls of this tape and I guess I was supposed to use it there, as when you open the cupboards now, you see 3 edges in brown and one in beech (the special decorative end panel).

I haven't yet brought this to my client's notice and maybe she'll be OK with it, but it does look, I think, like I got it wrong.

I might try the solution you suggest. but I agree, it may be a lot of work for little ultimate reward. I don't know why they didn't give the boards a neutral white finish on the edges!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back