Working from another location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Currently working for a maintenance company,we employees have been told that for the foreseeable future we have to take it in turns on a rota basis to work in a location 100 miles from current area we cover. We are not refusing to go but our hours are 8-5, they want us at location at 8am which means possibly 6/630 start of drive and are offering overtime.
Some employees have issues with commitments etc, childcare, as well of other things , can they start in van at 8am travel to location and leave to get back for 5pm without getting some type of discipline. Current contract just says 8-5 working hours, don’t see anything like mobility clause . Any thoughts on this thank -you.

Sponsored Links
i work 8-4 and dosnt matter wether im 10 miles away or 60 i have to be on the job for them hours traveling is in my time

Your working hours are 8 to 5 travel is not included in that unless noted in your contract.

The expectation is you are at work ready to start for 8 and do not leave until 5 so yes discipline action could be taken.

The only exception to this would be the working time directive. A recent case concluded them travelling hours should be included in your working hours for the working time directive so you can’t be forced to work more than 48 hours a week on average over a 17 week period.

I understand that but we have been on a contract where a specific area is covered,if employees want to work 2 hours travel then that would be there choice.what I was trying to ask if anyone does not want either travel/overtime can they be forced. At the moment our working day starts at 8 when in van & finishes 5 when home. We all give and take some lads drive to jobs for 8 if suits them,think it’s different asking drive 2hrs work 8 then drive 2hrs home if family commitments are needed.

Sponsored Links
are you based in a specific location or group off locations like a complex
do you have to report to a specific place at the begining off and end off the day
are you freelance or employed

Clearly its a bit much expecting employees to work 8-5 plus a 200 mile round trip.

That could be a day from 6- 7 which is too much.

I travel that distance and get paid from leaving the house to walking back into it.

No one would choose to have a 200 mile a day commute.

I travel that distance and get paid from leaving the house to walking back into it.

No one would choose to have a 200 mile a day commute.

Dont tell me youve unblocked every single drain in a 100 mile radius :ROFLMAO:

:)

I used to work local, then got told my work area was changing. Daily mileages were in excess of 200 miles and I still had the same workload.

Not easy. Many late nights.

If you're classed as "home based" your working hours start and finish at your front door.

Sponsored Links
Back