Working on a live pipe

That’s very helpful. Promise to post a video (if I can bring myself to doing this!)

Sponsored Links
If you could do it underwater with the pipe in a big tub or something, it would be less scary.

First time I did a live steel supply I **** it but once the water covers the pipe and it stops blasting out it doesn’t seem so bad. Pipes that are easier to cut like lead, plastic or copper can be done much easier and with much less mess.

I’m looking forward to your video too :)

Half the houses round here if you turn on all the downstairs taps you don't get any water upstairs anyway :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm not a qualified plumber, but I've had to do this before. I did something similar to what FiremanT is suggesting. I got an isolation valve (open) with a small piece of pipe then a flexible hose on it to make it easier to direct the water. I had this feeding into a bucket so there wasn't much of a run of pipe and so less resistance for the water to run through. Then it was a matter of laying out some towels, opening all the other taps in the house, and biting the bullet. Pipe slice on the pipe, slide the iso valve onto the cut section and immediately (provided the valve is open, can't stress how important that bit is) most of the water is running into the bucket. Then obviously tighten the nut, close the valve and you're good to go. Keeping calm is the key, almost what "more haste, less speed" was intended for.

Sponsored Links
Easy.
  1. Have a new stopcock with a 3/4" hose on it.
  2. Have the hose into a drain or preferably outside.
  3. Have the stoptap open and ready.
  4. Have a bowl handy.
  5. Have lots of towels around.
  6. When cutting the pipe with a pipe cutter have all the taps on in the house to take away flow and pressure.
  7. Have a bowl under the point where you cut.
  8. Slip the compression stop cock on quick
  9. Tighten up.
  10. Turn off stop cock.
  11. Mop up.
The open stopcock with the hose takes all the flow and pressure - the secret. If you can get a freezing kit then do. But still have the hose ready in case.

Last edited:
Easy.
  1. Have a new stopcock with a 3/4" hose on it.
  2. Have the hose into a drain or preferably outside.
  3. Have the stoptap open and ready.
  4. Have a bowl handy.
  5. Have lots of towels around.
  6. When cutting the pipe with a pipe cutter have all the taps on in the house to take away flow and pressure.
  7. Have a bowl under the point where you cut.
  8. Slip the compression stop cock on quick
  9. Tighten up.
  10. Turn off stop cock.
  11. Mop up.
The open stopcock with the hose takes all the flow and pressure - the secret.

So, exactly what's been advised already but you've numbered it on your clipboard! :rolleyes:

Don't do it get the water board in if you do cock it up your mate won't thank you plus insurance company will pay out then sue you if the water board find the cock turn it off and do it properly.Bob

Can I just say if I were going to work on a live pipe, I'd turn the leccy off first...

[dives behind sofa]

Can I just say if I were going to work on a live pipe, I'd turn the leccy off first...
Definately the best advice.

Have phone number for the water company emergency service to hand.

Put your mobile phone in a water proof case ( a condom is perfect for this ) in case the house phone stops working.

Noah's not on the phone. Arkayic old man that he is.

you could end up like this guy.....

i think every plumber has a story like this to tell (maybe not this bad though :eek:)

Love it. Bet he is wishing he paid the 150 bucks for a turn off and on. (Comment about half way):'(

Definately the best advice.

Have phone number for the water company emergency service to hand.

Put your mobile phone in a water proof case ( a condom is perfect for this ) in case the house phone stops working.

Noah's not on the phone. Arkayic old man that he is.

All good plumbers carry condoms, that's what I tell my wife.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back