workmanship of roofing repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, had main roof done recently, some issues (broken tiles, starter kits missing etc) but they came back and fixed them.

I'm looking at doing a much smaller low level garage roof myself to save money having paid over the odds for this, there are a few shortcuts I'm sure they took, can you see any more issues? For the money I was expecting a first class job, following the mfr instructions to the letter and doing everything they said (replacing the top rows of tiles with new matched for example).

Main queries would be

1. they used an easy-trim ridge f plus dry ridge, but didn't use the metal batten bracket straps. They said that this was because they were for "new builds", but I know that's not the case and the manufacturer says they should be used. They also gave what I believe was the real reason, that it would take longer to remove the 1st row of tiles in order to re-do the top batten with the straps underneath as designed.

I guess that they built up by screwing extra timber to the very top rather than using the straps to hold one in place, would this affect the installation long term, is it a standard shortcut?

2. They used easy-trim ridge end caps, you can see that they seem to have added 2 screws where they don't normally have pre-marked holes. They seemed to have a bunch of marley end caps lying around too, but didn't use them.

3. They used a Marley universal verge, presumably this doesn't join to the easy trim ridge end cap as the easy trim verge would, will this cause issues?

4. I can't really tell whether or not they used the marley re-furb kits, the salesman said they do and there was a box of them on the floor but I didn't see them go on. I tried to take a photo up the inside while the starter kit was still missing, you can see something, but not sure if it's a refurb kit or not.

5. I can't see the bottom fixing bracket, it looks like the bottom verge unit is screwed to the gutter to me, but I could be wrong!

So, how serious are any of those issues?

When I come to do the other roof, I have already got a easy-trim ridge ready to go. It didn't come with a ridge end cap though, so I could get the one it's designed to work with, but then would I be better using the easy-trim verge too? I had intended to get the marley verge so I
had a few spares, but mixing in the same way seems wrong to me and additionally it seems difficult to get hold of all the components and expensive. Is the easy-trim U system ok?

Also, when I come to do the other roof, is it a valid shortcut to not use the batten bracket straps, just build up the timber using screws to what's there?

thanks

Attachments

• IMGP6431.JPG
    IMGP6431.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMGP6432.JPG
    IMGP6432.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMGP6433.JPG
    IMGP6433.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMGP6434.JPG
    IMGP6434.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back