Workshop electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyones entitled to there opinion...
Indeed they are, but if they start telling people asking for advice that the installation of a distribution board is not notifiable and that the installation of a new circuit originating at a distribution board is not notifiable and that if you've got more than 1 CU the installation of a new circuit originating at any of them is not notifiable do you think that they are entitled to see that advice not go challenged?

Sponsored Links
FWIW I agree that the work is notifiable with regard to the definiton of 'a new circuit' but I think that people might be put off coming here if they have to endure page after page of debate/disagreement when trying to find the answer to a question.
The forum might retain it's interest but only for the wrong reasons of people wanting to watch a post due to it's arguments rather than it's technical content ! :confused:

to be honest i find the regs a lot like the catholic church... very contradictory.

what was the original question BTW?

Problem with the regs is they have to try and account for every situation in what is actually quite a short document when you take away the appendices. Add to that the fact that 90% of the authors have never picked up a screwdriver in their life and another 5% are influenced by commercial goals then it can't be perfect, but it's what we've got.

Sponsored Links
FWIW I agree that the work is notifiable with regard to the definiton of 'a new circuit'
Then why criticise me for saying that Stoday is wrong?

but I think that people might be put off coming here if they have to endure page after page of debate/disagreement when trying to find the answer to a question.
So would you rather they went way with incorrect advice?

The forum might retain it's interest but only for the wrong reasons of people wanting to watch a post due to it's arguments rather than it's technical content ! :confused:
Its technical content is what's at stake.

Stoday is advising the OP that if he removes or disables the main switch in the thing he installs in the workshop it becomes a DB and therefore it's not notifiable, that the assembles of cables and accessories coming from the breakers in it are not circuits and therefore aren't notifiable, and that Approved Document P is of no relevance if you've got more than 1 CU.

That technical content is some of the dodgiest I've ever seen.

People should not be led into thinking that removing the main switch is a method of avoiding Part P.

It is clearly not and suggesting it is; is poor advice.

Anyone in the future surveying the installation would flag that up and raise questions that could affect the sale of property.

If someone cares enough to ask the question on here then that indicates to an extent that they wish to remain inside the law. And as such they should get considered advice as opposed to hypothetical interpretations that could get them through some unused loophole that has not been put in front of the courts and is not and should not become standard practice.

Martin

Another thread ruined by sheddy's pointless drivel.
Another nail in the coffin of this forum I expect...... :(

Stoday has made the following claims:

1) The installation of a distribution board is not notifiable.

2) The installation of a new circuit originating at a distribution board is not notifiable.

3) AD P is meant to clarify the law, and that clarification draws a definite and intended distinction between dwellings with 1 CU and those with more than 1.

And he is wrong on all three counts, perhaps he's winding you up. :LOL:

Why on earth would he be so pathetic, stupid and childish as to think that would be in the best interests of the forum and a good way to help the person asking for advice?

And if you believe he is wrong why haven't you also been telling him rather than cricising me for trying to get him to see it?

Problem with the regs is they have to try and account for every situation

And that's why if your interpretation of a reg does not suit every situation, then your interpretation is wrong.

Add to that the fact that 90% of the authors have never picked up a screwdriver in their life and another 5% are influenced by commercial goals

And they live in trees.

Corner cable safe zones, thereavinalarf

Why on earth would he be so pathetic, stupid and childish as to think that would be in the best interests of the forum and a good way to help the person asking for advice?

I have no idea, and care even less.

And if you believe he is wrong why haven't you also been telling him rather than cricising me for trying to get him to see it?

I managed to tell him he was wrong using eight words, doesn't that tell you something. :)

I managed to tell him he was wrong using eight words, doesn't that tell you something. :)
I managed to tell him he was wrong using eight words, doesn't that tell you something. :)[/quote]
Well - the first time I said it was notifiable it only took me 10 words.

Also there can be no doubt that it is notifiable

The trouble was that Stoday then said this:

Render the switch in the garage consumer unit inoperable and it becomes a distribution board. Then it becomes non-notifiable according to notes e and f:

at which point I asked, not with loads of unnecessary words:

Please tell us which part of Schedule 2B matches the installation of a distribution board and the creation of outgoing circuits from it, and therefore makes the work non-notifiable.

And so it progressed.

The thing is you can'tmake any progress showing why someone is wrong, and getting them to realise it without explanations, or without asking them to explain things.

Just saying "And he is wrong on all three counts" gets nobody anywhere.

Just stumbled on this thread

I can't believe BAS - I have never meant someone on a forum so up himself who thinks he is so right and every one is always so wrong.

I posted a question on another thread - rather than try and answer the question he looked back at some of my previous post and regurgitated that rather than answer a simple question.

He is beyond belief, I guess he has a day job but not sure because he seems to have a 24/7 job as a forum policeman

I can't believe BAS - I have never meant someone on a forum so up himself who thinks he is so right and every one is always so wrong.
Not always.

Only when they are.

Do you think that Stoday was right?

I posted a question on another thread - rather than try and answer the question he looked back at some of my previous post and regurgitated that rather than answer a simple question.
Yes, because somewhere you were spinning us a line. There's no way you can be an electrician with over 25 years experience and not know whether in your own outbuildings you should use T/E clipped to walls or flexible or solid conduit with singles and metal clad sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back