Worktop maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, The kitchen in my new flat is great but there is a problem with a raised joint seam near the sink. If you expand the pic you'll see it.
What's the best way to protect from more damage through further water ingress?
My first thought was to mix up some clear epoxy and 'seal' with that but does anyone have a better idea?

Attachments

• 16937438490376383635110250811253.jpg
    16937438490376383635110250811253.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the joint between the wood effect and marble effect? If that's the case, it's curious why that isn't the center of the picture.

If epoxy works, I don't see why not. I would normally fill cracks or unwanted seams with hybrid polymer sealant. They come in clear as well. You can use masking tape to limit where the sealant goes.

I would have thought that a flixible sealant would be better than a stiff epoxy, but if you shop around carefully there are some bubble pack flexible epoxies available from hardmann etc.

No. The problem is where the 2 pieces of worktop are jointed. Perhaps this enlarged picture is more clear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230903_224710_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230903_224710_Firefox.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
you still need a bit of flexibility in whatever you use, the two panels get loaded differently and attempt to move vertically.

Thanks Mike. I get your point about flexibility. I imagine that, in time, a stiff epoxy 'seal' would detatch itself from one or other of the pieces of worktop and thus trap water near to the faulty joint which would only exacerbate the problem.
You mention Hardmann as a source for flexible epoxies. I google the name but nothing comes up.
Can I ask which flexible epoxy you would use in this circumstance and could you post a link to it?

You could try one of those flexible strips to seal the edge and make it tidy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back