Worktop To Wall Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The grout along the top edge of my workstops, where they butt up to the wall, has started to break away. I also have a problem with the grout along the top of a couple of cupboards where they meet the coving also breaking away after cutting out a space for a new free standing cooker to replace the previous cooker which was built into the unit.

My wife is insisting I don't use grout again so wonder if anyone can offer a suggestion as to a good alternative that hopefully won't break up over time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only way to provide a flexible sealant, is to use silicone, Dow Corning 785 is very good.

Many people on here seem to believe that grouting to a worktop is the correct method, but it does not flex, and it is not as waterproof. And as you have found eventually it breaks away.

Sponsored Links
There are sealers other than silicone, and they don't migrate onto EVERYTHING in the way silicone does.

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look around and see what I can find. I belive that Wickes do a Bathrrom, Shower & Kitchen sealant which might do the trick and has the advantage of needing a gun to apply.

I'll also keep an eye out for the Dow Corning as I know that's usually good stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back