Worlds most dangerous Portable Water Heater!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just seen this video :LOL::

and just found the eBay listing for it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-...sh=item2c9222aee5:g:sOwAAOSwj0NUeXuV#shpCntId

This has to be on a whole new stupidity level of dangerous Chinese products...Or maybe not knowing what dangerous stuff China can through out onto the market! :eek:

Please, don't anyone who is not experienced and competent with electrics buy this item due to the implications of it's extreme danger!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Anne Summers & Harold Shipman partnership opportunity entered my head, but I am not going down that route.

Microwaves are dangerous if you use metal containers and utensils.

Really, I know metal sparks in microwaves and that it can damage the microwave; but dangerous?o_O Now a microwave with the glass removed to be used as a hand warmer, now that's an idea. :D

Sponsored Links
As I've said before, while in general I'm an advocate of free trade, I would happily see a complete block on the importation of Chinese made junk into both the U.K. and the U.S. (and elsewhere, of course).

As I've said before, while in general I'm an advocate of free trade, I would happily see a complete block on the importation of Chinese made junk into both the U.K. and the U.S. (and elsewhere, of course).
I doubt many people would disagree with that, if a way could be found to make it workable - but how would one distinguish between Chinese (or other Far Eastern) -made "junk", and products manufactured in the Far East bearing 'reputable' Western brandings?

In any event, I thought that we (and probably the US) already had plenty of laws to 'prevent' the import of dangerous, reg non-compliant or fake etc. products into the country - the problem being in the pitifully poor policing of those laws.

Kind Regards, John

but how would one distinguish between Chinese (or other Far Eastern) -made "junk", and products manufactured in the Far East bearing 'reputable' Western brandings?
A problem, for sure. So perhaps it's time to ban the import of all equipment made in China unless and until China itself does something about it?

We'd be in a mess I reckon without their imports!
I don't know about the States, but these days we make sweet FA here in the UK.
At the end of the day though you are always going to get rogue manufacturers who will ignore rules and common sense.

One way to get my inheritance early, I'll buy my mum one. OK only jesting, but really you could buy one of these with the whole idea of bumping some one off, never mind trading standard these could be a Police matter!

did you not see his home made one for heating his bath water :D

Yes I did, but that was something he built himself, not an off the shelf product.

I doubt many people would disagree with that, if a way could be found to make it workable - but how would one distinguish between Chinese (or other Far Eastern) -made "junk", and products manufactured in the Far East bearing 'reputable' Western brandings?

Very True

In any event, I thought that we (and probably the US) already had plenty of laws to 'prevent' the import of dangerous, reg non-compliant or fake etc. products into the country - the problem being in the pitifully poor policing of those laws.

That might be, but at least it allows us electricians and electrical engineer's to get our hand on these products to examine them for our own enjoyment and warn others of the dangers. Also how do you expect customs to deal with the 1 out of the millions of items coming into the UK a day for example, especially for those that are a one off and not a large commercial order.

Be afraid! Be very afraid! :eek:

Well yea, I would if the average Joe is going to use one. Now if I saw one in my local electronics/camping shop, then I would be worried on a whole new level.

A problem, for sure. So perhaps it's time to ban the import of all equipment made in China unless and until China itself does something about it?

Nice idea ;), but not at all practical :(; even if equipment made in china was banned, the manufactures would likely import it into another "Holding country" to get around the ban before importing it into places like the UK and the US. If reputable manufactures (i.e. Panasonic, Samsung, Apple, etc...) could not build and assemble their products in china, it would have serious implications for those businessws and the economy overall.

I don't know about the States, but these days we make sweet FA here in the UK.

FA???

but really you could buy one of these with the whole idea of bumping some one off, never mind trading standard these could be a Police matter!

Oh don't put idea's into my head - a disguised and unforeseen death trap to get rid of someone...:censored::rolleyes:

Well, given that in this country the police are ordered, (and obey) to unlawfully arrest protesters to avoid embarrassing the Chinese leadership, I think that banning equipment which is likely to injure only those about whom the Government already do not care if they live or die isn't going to happen.

As I implied, and particularly if you widened 'China' to include a number of other Far Eastern countries, that would result in the almost total non-availability of any 'Western branded' electrical/electronic products, as well as the ones you would like to 'ban'!

Anyway, as I said, there is no lack of laws to catch the products that need to be caught - merely a serious resource deficiency which prevents anything approaching effective policing of those laws.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back