Worn decking stain - what to do..?

t78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
we moved last year and the new place has a nice decking out the back. it's not grooved like most I've seem and looks like some kind of hardwood.

apparently, it's only been down a couple of years and was stained/coloured a red colour originally which has work badly in places, but looks quite decent in others.

here's some pics to give you an idea..

the previous owners left some decking protector, so I tried applying that to one board. this has covered but does not hide all the previous stain...

now I don't mind this look too much, but am wondering how it will look when applied to the sections where the original stain is still quite solid?

what are my options? I don't want to have to sand all the original stain off and I don't think it will power wash off.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought a quick run over with a floor sander would be the best approach. If you don't get all the old stain off any new application will turn out patchy.

I put decking down about 3-4 years ago.

After the first year i painted it with an awful paint type stain. Never again, as it flakes and looks terrible.

You can try a mixture of bleach/washing powder/hot water. Scrub that in and it seems to clean really well. Read that somewhere, and tried it. Don't have to be to exact with the ratios, I just chucked a good few glugs of bleach, half a cup of washing powder in a watering can (5l) and topped with warm water.

It worked pretty well, but was still very patchy.

After doing that and using a decking revivers etc I rented a floor sander. (smallest belt one) and ran that over it. Came up a treat! I suggest this as well! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back