Worn Oak Flooring - Can it be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - Been a while : )

I've just agreed purchase of a new house which has some beautiful solid oak flooring all through the downstairs.

The floor does have a lot of 'character' as its been home to a family of four for the last 14 years and to be honest I quite like the superficial wear as it it fits in with the country\rustic vibe of the house and its rural settings.

There are however one or two areas of the floor, particularly around the garden room and the exit to the rear garden - where I noticed where it is so worn that there are 'Troughs' or divots in the wood. One of which by the door is around 5' in length and an inch or two wide and maybe a centimeter (give or take) deep.

Can these be fixed (By the average DIY'er or even a pro)? Will the planks have to be replaced or can the troughs be filled\sanded and stained by someone who knows what they are doing?

I'd post some pics but I don't own the house yet. Just after some general information really.

Cheers,

John

Sponsored Links
Post some pictures when you can, and check with the current owner if there are any spare boars hanging around in the loft or the basement. Normal scratches would be taken out with a floor sander, but at a centimetre deep, you'll need to find a matching colour, and get a pro to cut out the groove with a router, and then match in a new piece, but it can be done.

one thing that could be done might be to remove some of the door entrance floor and replace it with a recessed mat.
That then gives you original material to fix other problems - depends on which way the boards go.

or find reclaimed material for replacement.

It's amazing what a good floor guy can do.

Sponsored Links
Post some pictures when you can, and check with the current owner if there are any spare boars hanging around in the loft or the basement. Normal scratches would be taken out with a floor sander, but at a centimetre deep, you'll need to find a matching colour, and get a pro to cut out the groove with a router, and then match in a new piece, but it can be done.

Good shout - I'll ask the owner if there are any spare boards lying around. Long shot but always worth asking

one thing that could be done might be to remove some of the door entrance floor and replace it with a recessed mat.
That then gives you original material to fix other problems - depends on which way the boards go.

or find reclaimed material for replacement.

It's amazing what a good floor guy can do.

The recessed doormat seems like a good idea, actually. Just did a google search and there are some impressive solutions that look very neat indeed. I'll post some pics up when I get moved in to the house.

Thanks again for the responses chaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back