worried about building regs ,project partially built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need some guidance please ,
a family member has planned a solid oak frame bespoke conservatory which initially DIDNT require building regs as long as 50% walls were glass and 75% of the roof was also glass or similar.they have obtained planning permission
they have now scrapped the conservatory idea and have now turned the conservatory into a partially built extension . they have dug decent footings laid a slab with a damp course/kingspan etc and fitted a very lightweight roof on 6x2 joists which are sitting on 6" square solid oak green timber erected by an oak framing company ...The build is all very structurally sound ,
the structure is basically a solid watertight shell complete with oak doors and 3 large panes of glass the moment with no internal work done .
they are now thinking of contacting the buiding regs people to have them come out and look at it .they know this should have been done MUCH EARLIER in the construction ,my concerns are should they come out can they turn round and tell them to knock it down.i know there are things that an inspector would pick up on albeit nothing dangerous
they are not thinking of moving in the short term but would obviously like it passed should they decide to sell in the future.

they are wondering if the inspectors were called could they compromise or is it a case of tough sh*t you haven't followed procedure knock it down or face court action.we have worked very hard and obviously spent a lot of money ,
any advice would be really appreciated .thankyou

Sponsored Links
You can apply for a Regularization, which is just a retrospective approval - the Council will not apply to have it demolished!
Downside is that 1. they will charge a hefty fee for the process (often around 2.5 x normal fee) and 2. they will require some parts opening up so that the inspector can check compliance.
All in all not as big a worry as you think.

thanks for that ,that sounds like the way forward .any idea of the rough cost for a 4 metre squared extension .you say 2.5x are we talking a lot of money ? .many thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks for that ,that sounds like the way forward .any idea of the rough cost for a 4 metre squared extension .you say 2.5x are we talking a lot of money ? .many thanks
Our council would normally charge around £300 for an extension that size, so you may be talking £6-700?

Are you sure it needs Building Regs in the first place? If there is separation between the extension and the house (eg by a door) then maybe it's just a large porch?

yes there is separation by a door .to be honest I guess it could be classed a large porch (albeit at the back of the house) ,but in honesty i don't know ,i did initially contact building regs and they did say that as long as the criteria for percentage of glass was met they weren't interested (its not) so that's where were at. cd do with someone to come out and have a look just don't want to open a can of worms and pay out many ££££ for something that may not be an issue in the first place.

If you feel the structure is sound, then it may be best to leave well alone. What are the percentages on the walls and roof. Is it so obvious that someone would look at it, and ask for the building regs approval.

Yes as usual a simple stated % would make these structures regs applicable or not applicable but no, that would be too easy!

BC won't tell you to knock it down but could cause huge hassle and £££ over minor things that won't make it fall down! I would finish it and say nothing. Its immune from BC after a year and if they sell they can give seller indemnity insurance for less £££ than lining BCs pockets!

BC won't tell you to knock it down but could cause huge hassle and £££ over minor things that won't make it fall down! I would finish it and say nothing. Its immune from BC after a year and if they sell they can give seller indemnity insurance for less £££ than lining BCs pockets!

That's what I'd do. Presuming the neighbours aren't trouble makers!

some good advice here thankyou. btw what is "seller indemnity insurance" ,how does that work ,re percentage of glass ,being primarily a wooden structure it could be seen as a once upon a time a conservatory but now with a proper roof (albeit lightweight plastic tiles ).glass percentage is probably 35% on the walls ,nothing on the roof,neighbours are great ,

That's what I'd do. Presuming the neighbours aren't trouble makers!
Yes and no doubt the next seller will be along in a decade or so asking WTF is this leaking, damp, cold monstrosity on the back of their house that was thrown up without any thought by some distant owner who didn't give a ****.

Yes and no doubt the next seller will be along in a decade or so asking WTF is this leaking, damp, cold monstrosity on the back of their house that was thrown up without any thought by some distant owner who didn't give a ****.

Yeah, but they don't have to pay for it.. Everything's negotiable, unless the vendor's one of those special bellends that thinks houses must always appreciate regardless of what's happened to them over the years

Just like any other conservatory then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back