Worried about electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
When I moved into my house in 2010 it had the old rubber wire so I decided before moving in to opt for a rewire and new CU.
I did all of the research for a part p certified electrician

Anyway I had the house rewired and everything is working fine, I feel out with him when he was here as I wanted an extra light in the hallway. Long story......

So I never received anything back from the council to say that the work had been registered but I had some paperwork from him with readings etc on so never thought anymore about it.

The other day I had someone in to add a socket into the ring main, well a spur as I wanted to make sure everything was done right and signed off.

I found out during his visit that I should have really had something back from the council to confirm it had been registered.

Where do I stand as the guy is now not trading after I tried to find him.
What should I have got back after the work.

What provoked this post today shocked me as I was taking off some sockets in the back bedroom so I can fill and paint around them. I switched off the ring that said upstairs sockets and left kitchen sockets and ground floor sockets on and did not even realise that I was working with m electric sander using the sockets that I'd switched off.

Today I am lucky as those sockets I was taking off were live

Sponsored Links
You should of received a notification certificate from your local BCO confirming the notification, as well as the paperwork from your electrician.

You should of confirmed the sockets were isolated before removing them - relying on labelling to prove dead is not the way to do it.

What paperwork has the latest electrician given you?

Hay so I have had a look and I have three spare mcb's
Cooker is actually kitchen spur
Kitchen sockets includes the bedroom
Apart from that they are correct so I think I will label them up correctly to be safe in the future.

Can someone please tell me what I should do about the cert? Should I contact BC and ask for advice?
Can I report him?

Hi there
The original electrician have me a receipt and the following
Periodic inspection report for electrical installation.
Supply characteristics and earth requirements
Schedule of test results
He has signed the paperwork and filled in the declaration etc.

The recent one said a spur did not need a cert as It was not in a modifiable place.

Next time I will just switch off everything and use batteries in m cd player :)

The forms are by kewtech and has a cert number so do these count and have not been sent to building control?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the guy wasn't registered.

Kewtech make test equipment and the certs are give aways with the kit you buy.

Could you scan or photograph them and post them up? In the form there should be his trading address and contact details, have you chased him via those details?

If he is naughty, have you tried googling his name and seeing if anyone else has mentioned him on the net?

Are the same details and kewtech paperwork on the PIR? Or when you mention schedule do you mean paperwork that was with the PIR?

Reason I ask is that a PIR is normally an inspection of condition, and is done for testing an existing installation not a new one.

You should still have a BCO one, and he has issued a Periodic Inspection Report which is incorrect, it should be an Electrical Installation Completion Certificate.

A new socket would still require a Minor Works Certificate, although depending on location, may not need notification to the BCO.

You could ask the BCO if they have recieved notification and take it from there.

Any pics of the quality of the install? Take some pics of the sockets you took off (behind them too), the Consumer Unit and anything else you think relevant. Post them here, folk will soon tell you what they think of his workmanship.

I was asking this question when Part P first came out and still not really answered. "Who has to register the work?"

If one goes to a house to fit a socket in a kitchen then one assumes the electrician must register the work. But with for example the disabled the LABC do not charge for Part P work. So for the client to register the work makes sense. Where other building work is also being done including the electrics often means no extra cost.

So reading the document the client is responsible. That does not mean he has to do it just he has to ensure some one does.

With a scheme member there is no problem as the scheme provider does not really leave him any option but to sent copies of the installation certificate to them to be registered.

But if a guy asks me (not a scheme provider member) to do work I can casually say it's up to you to register the work and any court would have a really hard job to blame me. Only if I crack on I'm registered do I have a problem.

I have always seen this as a problem. If I don't issue a installation certificate then clearly I know I am breaking the rules. But if I provide one and say I thought the client had registered the work then it would be near impossible to show I had broken the law. Of course bad workmanship is another thing I am assuming work is to BS standard.

Now I am not really looking for work so first statement is "I am not a scheme member it may be cheaper for you to go elsewhere" but if I was short then don't think I am breaking the law by not pointing it out?

I have done one Part P job. I did register and did get the completion certificate. Since it was my parents I did see the document. However no permit to work was issued. So as a non registered electrician if the client tells me the work has been registered and the LABC says go ahead I have no real way to know if they are lying or not. If the LABC issued a permit to work then I would have no excuse but since I know they don't then at end of the day it's all down to the owner.

I personally think it's all a load of non sense as the LABC never checked one of my readings. My son was working for a registered firm and due to a change in the forms he made an error with around 10 forms which resulted in paper work showing the installation did not comply. No one picked it up. His firm missed it, the scheme provider missed it, and the LABC missed it. So what is the point?

Part P is just a money making exercise and is nothing to do with safety.

So just crack on it was all done before 2004 and forget about it.

Quite.

I don't really have any answers

but will point out that we (the registered ones) do not have to send certificates to the scheme on completion of the work.

However, it may be chosen - at random - for examination during the annual assessment.

An interesting point regarding work for the disabled. I did not know/realise that.

Quite.

I don't really have any answers

but will point out that we (the registered ones) do not have to send certificates to the scheme on completion of the work.
I was unaware of that. I thought that I could apply to the LABC to see copies of any work completed in special zones like kitchen, bathroom and outside.

I don't know about work certified by the LABC but not for 'self-certified' work.

At least, not without obtaining them from the electrician who actually did the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back