Worried about my plumbers competence

I dropped into the house on the way to work this morning.
I do hope you're sitting down.

I think he's connected the expansion vessel to the balanced cold port. Which as I read the instructions is the wrong side of the non-return valve in the combined group.

Meaning I think I now have no expansion vessel at all on the cylinder volume.

I think this goes past incompetent and becomes murderous. I haven't spoken to the builder yet, but my current view is I need to get Gas Safe, Building Control, Trading Standards in pronto - if he's qualified he needs shutting down, and if he's not he needs locking up.

Views?

Sponsored Links
Will a Gas Safe inspector look at the unvented cylinder install as well, or just the boiler install?

Dan_Robinson";p="2681690 said:
They will advise I am sure, but there isn't much they can enforce on that front as it is a building control issue. And they are normally as much use as a chocolate teapot.[/quote
]

But if he gets dumped, even just for the gas situation, you are then clear to get someone prevetted to sort it all out

OP - the guy is a obviously an illiterate ******** (cheers DM) of the highest order. Or perhaps he is so flustered/scared he rushed those pipes in without thinking.

He's made a daft situation dangerous.

The brass nut on the expansion relief valve is just annoying.

Sponsored Links
Update:

I've had a full and frank exchange of views with the builder. I have stated that is my opinion that by employing this plumber he is playing games with my life and that of my family. I have assured the builder that while previously I was somewhat concerned I am now absolutely f*ing livid. I have said that I don't consider the plumber fit to touch anything in my house.

I have spoken to Gas Safe. I know the plumber's name, but nothing else. There are several registered operatives with that name in the country. Someone is probably going to call me back about an inspection.

I have not yet spoken to Building Control or Trading Standards about this. If I don't get either a full refund or a new installation I will do so (I've told the builder that too).

It's a shame, because I'm very happy with everything the builder has done themselves, and all the rest of their subbies. Spoils it a bit when it becomes apparent that it may all be converted into a smoking / steaming crater...

Update:

I have spoken to Gas Safe. I know the plumber's name, but nothing else. There are several registered operatives with that name in the country. Someone is probably going to call me back about an inspection.

If you know the name then you can search yourself on the G-S web site using the find an installer feature for people within your area and see if he listed!

We are all waiting on tenterhooks to hear this!

Tony

as Dan said however i don't think he's rushed it i think it is quite plain he hasn't followed the instructions & he def doesn't know what he is doing with regard to fitting a unvented cylinder, because your cylinder is nothing special they all come with the same controls & should all be piped up the same way, there are things that should be done & things that shouldn't, this is the reason that anyone fitting one MUST have the G3 cert unless of course you want a new hole in the roof for a velux

I'm told the plumber has left the building. I'm told he says everything he did is correct and safe, though he hasn't been able to test the hot water because of something the electrician has done (or not done) apparently.

The builder is getting someone else to come and have a look.

I will be getting someone else to come and have a look.

I've tried the Gas Safe website, but I can't find a way to search by name of engineer, only by company name or either number. I might have found him, but the photo on the website is poor quality, he isn't looking at the camera, and since the photo he's shaved off a beard and lost quite a bit of hair on top. Or it might be someone else entirely with the misfortune to look similar to my chap.

The builder asked him for the numbers before he left site, but apparently he's left his card at home, and he's going to phone them through when he gets there.

I've never understood how someone can install a boiler and cylinder can't do their own control wiring? To whit, all the sparks has to do is provide a plug socket or extension lead to test the operation.

With the Expansion vessel connected to the multi bloc as it is it is probably a good thing nothing works as your safety valves will be pishing water within minutes.

Do please keep us up to date. Nearly every thread of this epic nature gets forgotten - or the OP doesn't post back with the outcomes.

It is a very good thing you have photo's!!!

Make sure the new plumber arrives with his credentials to hand.

Make sure the new plumber arrives with his credentials to hand.

There's no risk of me letting anyone touching my boiler etc. without a Gas Safe card, don't worry on that score. I have learnt a lesson there.

Gas Safe have called me back. They are taking no more action for now because there are 15 registered engineers with the same name and I don't have the information to enable them to identify which if any he is. If I get a number and/or address they'll follow up some more. They'll chase the builder for the details direct if I want them to, but (despite everything so far) I don't want to drop the builder in it quite yet.

I wouldnt go on the photos on the Gas safe website too much they are usually very old photos, they will be up to 5 years old in most cases as I have never heard of anyone being asked to send in updated pics unless renewing ACS

Indeed - the one they have of me is the same as my profile pic here and pretty much everywhere else online that I am present.

Once Gas Safe used a photo from my ACS renewal - taken when I had a hangover of biblical proportions.

They simply asked me to email the shot I wanted (the lady was very understanding ;) ).

The one in the profile here was 10 years ago on my wedding day and the last decent photo I think was ever taken of me :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back