Worried about my plumbers competence

Sponsored Links
How the plumber can stand there are tell you straight to your face a safety release valve doesn't need to be connected to anything is beyond me.

I'm not particularly inclined to defend him, but I'm pretty sure that he simply didn't believe it was a safety release valve. I don't know what he thinks it is but when I said it was a safety release valve he kept pointing at the P&T valve directly on the cylinder and saying that was the release valve.

So I said yes I knew that was a release valve, but so was the thing on the inlet group.

So he said no it isn't, that's the pressure release valve (pointing at the one on the cylinder).

This part of the discussion went round and round a bit. But then a couple of minutes later he did the trick where he sprayed water up the back of the cupboard (from the component that absolutely definitely never and cannot discharge anything) and that was the point where I walked away and had the rest of the discussion without the plumber.

Your plumber is lying to you (he maybe a plumber but he is not a heating engineer) ask him to put his tools away and leave site (pay him upto date) and get your self a recommended heating bod, could be the builder is using cheap inexperienced labour.
+1

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but there is too much diplomacy going on here.

Get rid of the incompetent cretin NOW, and have the job done properly.

The OP may not be able to do that!

The law says he needs to be Gas Safe registered!

But it does not say that he needs to be competent!

It seems simple to me, a Gas Safe number or no more work in your house and certainly no more payments until the work is put right!

Tony

The OP may not be able to do that!

The law says he needs to be Gas Safe registered!

But it does not say that he needs to be competent!

It seems simple to me, a Gas Safe number or no more work in your house and certainly no more payments until the work is put right!

Tony

That was what I was trying to say Tony ;)

We've already agreed no more payments on anything plumbing-related until everything is right to the satisfaction of a third party appointed by me. Also, that if there's any opening up to be done that it will be done and made good without additional charge.

I'm a bit nervous of insisting the plumber is kicked off because contractually he's the builder's appointment. If I kick the plumber off (which I could legally do by revoking right of access to my property for that individual) and undoing the mess costs more, there's potential for a money fight. If I say the builder needs to ensure it's properly and legally installed it remains his problem to resolve.

If it turns out the plumber is not appropriately registered, then I think I can start insisting (the gas law will trump contract law) until then I can merely try and convince the builder to decide it would be prudent to get someone else.

Whatever happens at this point I am stuck with paying out more money for an inspection, because I'm not going to be satisfied by the statements of any plumber the builder comes up with.

The extra cost is a bit galling. But this is a big investment that you want to last a good while.

The peace of mind that it is installed safely and so it will last will make it easier to swallow.

Hopefully the additional costs can be recouped through the builder - who will no doubt get it from the plumber.

If you get a gas safe inspector out they will not charge you anything. They will endeavour to put your mind at rest whether you are right or wrong.

if anything. it would be good if he was not gas safe or g3. then you can make the builder redo all the work :LOL:

If you get a gas safe inspector out they will not charge you anything. They will endeavour to put your mind at rest whether you are right or wrong.

Will a Gas Safe inspector look at the unvented cylinder install as well, or just the boiler install?

I haven't spoken to them yet, and I'm not going to get an opportunity tomorrow, but it's high on my list of things to do for Wednesday!

They will advise I am sure, but there isn't much they can enforce on that front as it is a building control issue. And they are normally as much use as a chocolate teapot.

god help the other 99 customers he has installed unvented for, ev's in the wrong place, stoptaps where they def shouldn't be, safety controls not installed correctly, filters installed back to front, is this cowboy even a plumber ? i am seriously beginning to wonder.

I think trading standards & BC would be very interested to have a word in his shell like.

maybe you should point him in the direction of this thread, I'm sure a few of us will be only to glad to point out the error of his ways ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back