Worried about my plumbers competence

Sponsored Links
Just looked at the pic again!

So yes it is a CDI, what threw me was the WB juniors don't have a full metal wall back plate the CDI does.

The CDI in the picture is supplied with a lower rear wall support bracket and also a gas inlet support bracket, for some reason they have not been fitted?

It is a 'GREENSTAR 30 CDi CLASSIC SYSTEM' on natural gas. It is in a two-heating-zone plus hot water setup (s-plan plus?). It does not have the optional internal diverter valve.

The installation, commissioning and servicing instructions refer to the presence of an internal bypass, but the diagrams in section 'water systems and pipework' all feature an external automatic bypass. The words say "An automatic bypass may be required, (downstream of the pump), in
order to maintain the minimum flow-rate through the appliance" but I can't find reference to what the minimum flow-rate is (or if you knew it how you decide whether a bypass is required).

The same instruction diagrams also show an extra expansion vessel, if the system volume is more than 100l. I have 11 double radiators, three 2m-high towel-rails and a kickspace heater. It seems to me very likely that I have more than 100l volume, is it not? So that's another fault? There's no external expansion vessel on the primary.

Ironically as it is a modulating pump, having a fixed by-pass isn't a total disaster either.

Whether he knows that and why is a different matter.

You must have a by-pass to maintain a steady flow through the system as various TRVs close off.

Sponsored Links
i fitted this into a smaller cupboard and the boiler as well!
Sorry the pic is sideways but its a tall cylinder
:)

Currently, you do not need a G3 Ticket to fit an unvented cylinder (contrary to what most heating engineers and holders of G3 tickets advocate).
You just need to be competent. You the installer, or the homeowner then will need to get Building Control to have a look and confirm that it meets the Regs.
Not rocket science to fit, as the cylinders all come with the required installation instructions.
YOU JUST NEED TO BE COMPETENT.

And before anyone starts jumping up and down, I do have a G3 tkt

Oh here we go again, how do you prove you are competent if you don't have the G3 ?? & i think you will have trouble proving that after the cylinder has exited through the roof.

yes you can get BC to sign it off & unless they have the G3 then they won't have a scooby doo what they are looking at so a complete waste of time & money.

get the right person to fit your boiler & or unvented with the req certs & you shouldn't have a prob.

why did you bother doing your G3 if you are just going to tell people to do their own install or is this your install that we are looking at on this thread

Currently, you do not need a G3 Ticket to fit an unvented cylinder (contrary to what most heating engineers and holders of G3 tickets advocate).
You just need to be competent. You the installer, or the homeowner then will need to get Building Control to have a look and confirm that it meets the Regs.
Not rocket science to fit, as the cylinders all come with the required installation instructions.
YOU JUST NEED TO BE COMPETENT.

And before anyone starts jumping up and down, I do have a G3 tkt

An immensely relevant and useful post there. :eek: FFS.

You were not meant to let everyone know that I did the OP's install :oops:

In relation to installing an Unvented cylinder, the manufacturers require that a COMPETENT 'person' install the cylinder. A G3 tkt holder is recommened, but not required.

An somewhere along the posts urn hear, the OP has RIGHTFULLY stated that he has looked at the installation instructions of the said Unvented cylinder and can't see anywhere where it says only a G3 tkt holder should fit the cylinder.

Bsfore you get Building Control to come and have a look at the install, you would have made them aware of what they are comming to look at. What reason wil they have for sending someone who has no knowledge og Unvented cylinder installation requirements to come and have alook at the install?

It will not be a waste of time and money to get BC involved as they will provide the necessary paperwork to pass the installation.

Building Control, owes the general public a Duty of Care to ensure that they send the right individual to inspect and pass (or fail - as the case may be) the installation.

so why did you bother getting your G3 if any ole tom dick or cowboy can install them ?

I hope you inform the local water supplier in writing that you will be installing an unvented cylinder

3.41 The installation of an unvented system is notifiable building work which must be notified to the BCB before work commences. The BCB may then check to make sure the work is safe and meets current energy efficiency requirements.
3.42 If the installer is registered with a competent person scheme for the installation
of unvented hot water systems it will not be necessary for the work to be notified in advance to the BCB. Installers registered with such schemes will self-certify that the work complies with all relevant requirements in the Building Regulations and the building owner/occupier will be given a building regulations certificate
of compliance which is usually issued by the competent person scheme operator.
Installation
3.69 Good workmanship is essential. Workmanship should be in accordance with appropriate standards such as BS 8000–15:1990 Workmanship on Building Sites Code of practice for hot and cold water services (domestic scale).

See there is a code of practise regarding poor workmanship. Horay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back