Worried about my plumbers competence

Well if he's installed hundreds and they are all dangerous - then won't Gas-Safe be contacting the people of the systems that are about to blow up? It's a notifiable work so it should be easy peasy to track them down. If there are hundreds of unsafe systems - won't he go to jail? They'll all have to come out and be fitted properly - so who is going to foot the bill?

Sponsored Links
Don't you feel guilty knowing that he'll get kicked off the Gas-Safe register? :confused:

as htf says he won't as it's not a gas issue.

however i would have no hesitation in reporting him if he's not got a G3 cert & no i wouldn't have any sleepless nights for doing so

long may the thread run... of all the trades plumbers and heating engineers are the ones that make a space habitable...

of all the electronic gadgets in houses and our lives, the boiler is the last one that people can do with out!

We managed with them when I was a kid in the 60s and we'll manage again when the price of gas is unaffordable by the masses.

Sponsored Links
FWIW, he's told the builder that he's requested Gas Safe to do an inspection himself, because he wants to clear his name and have it proved that he is competent.

out of interest OP what was the builder charging for the heating and plumbing work? Was it itemised?

out of interest OP what was the builder charging for the heating and plumbing work? Was it itemised?

No. I have a lump sum for the whole project which has been modified as we have tweaked things.

On the heating side of things all I can tell you is that he wanted an extra £479 to make it two zones with a CM927 on the second, an extra £398 to add a kickspace heater in the kitchen and an extra £175 for the fernox TF1.

easy profit for the builder, TF1s cost around £100... not much extra work

easy profit for the builder, TF1s cost around £100... not much extra work

WHAT DO YOU CHARGE TO FIT THEM!!!! just the £100 they cost??? come on alec1 the builder/plumber have to make a living too

OP you could get one and fit it yourself if you dont want to pay for it being done

OP you could get one and fit it yourself if you dont want to pay for it being done

Yes I know. I said that about a hundred (or was it two hundred?) posts ago. I wouldn't have cocked it up either. Not in the same way, anyway.

You missed your vocation then. BTW what do you do for a living?

FWIW, he's told the builder that he's requested Gas Safe to do an inspection himself, because he wants to clear his name and have it proved that he is competent.

He may be registered but he ain't no plumber that is guaranteed.

One point to note - Just because Gas Safe doesn't list G3 doesn't mean that person doesn't have that qualification, it's a register for gas fitters after all. But that person should have another card issued by the training body that assessed him showing he's qualified.

WHAT DO YOU CHARGE TO FIT THEM!!!! just the £100 they cost??? come on alec1 the builder/plumber have to make a living too

Of course, bu the normality is that the plumber is on a day rate, so the bullder gets the extra...

and how long does It take to install a TF1 on an empty new system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back