Worrying banging noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back boiler has recently started to make a banging noise when it fires up. It seems to run okay for a while, clicking on and off as normal to heat the water, but every now and then it will make a loud bang before it lights (the only way I can describe it is kind of like a mini explosion :confused: ) It can run for hours ok then suddenly it will start making this noise. I am now paranoid about using the central heating.

Anyone know what causes this ? Do I need to get a new boiler or is it something that can be fixed ?

Sponsored Links
Its not your boiler mate! its your wife and your next door neighbour, bang on the wall a few times and yell abuse, it will soon stop :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers Mate !!! Very helpful....NOT....lol ;)

No way can it be my wife....I am female and last time I checked I didn't have a wife !!!

oooOO..er :eek: , you never know but i see your point.....do you have a husband? :LOL: you can see where this is going :LOL:

The noise is probrably ketteling or something of that sort....you will get an answer tomorrow i would think now from one of the plumbers of this site....

Sponsored Links
No husband...and yes I can see where this is going. Straight into the gutter probably.....lol :oops:

lol, well either do a serch for 'ketteling' or 'boiler noise' on this forum, it may help, if not one of the resedant plumbers will be arround tomorrow

AR

Hi wsbtroyno21, I think you might be right about this being a mini explosion, if it happens at the time it lights. If this is the case then it sounds like a combustion or ignition fault, and unfortunately it is the point where I reach the end of my knowledge as I fix oil boilers. The similarity is that an incorrect fuel/air mixture can give rise to this type of problem in both. However with gas boilers they seem to mostly have an electronics board which frequently have connection problems and give rise to all sorts of interesting effects.

Sorry I can't be more useful, but, again providing this banging doesn't occur once the boiler is lit and running, it is unlikely to be kettling, as that requires lots of heat, and will happen consistently.

Thanks Oilman. It doesn't happen when the boiler is lit. The boiler clicks on and then usually it just lights the flame but sometimes there is a second delay and then this mini explosion occurs as the flame lights.

I suppose I am just gonna have to bite the bullet call an engineer and have it checked out. I was just a bit worried about using the heating in case it is gonna blow up on me or something !!!!

I had a guy check it over for me about 10 months ago......he put in a new thermo couple (I think thats what he called it !) and he checked that the boiler was running okay.

When the gas experts wake up, you may get better information before you get someone in. Oops! :oops: I've spent so long writing this, they're already up.

However, I had a thought which might make you feel a little less wary before you know who's coming in response to your phone call. If you know someone already, great, but if not, ask some firms to come out to give you an estimate, and I would include British Gas. You then get the chance to assess them without being in the position of having to have a repair done by someone you don't like. When you get someone who is ok, they can service it as well which will be beneficial, and you then know someone to put on your list of handy people to know. For one-man operators be prepared for a small charge to cover their time as they have to make a living.

You could even accost someone at his/her van and ask if they do gas repairs, saves money, and they don't know where you live. :D

Thanks again.

Being a single woman it is always a bit worrying having to ask a stranger into your home when you need work or repairs done. Unless you are lucky enough to have someone recommended to you, there is no way of knowing who is going to rip you off or who is going to be a complete cowboy.

Your advice about geting estimates done first is a great idea....one I hadn't thought about before :confused: . I would just have picked a number from the phone book and got them out to fix it.

Cheers :D

There's not really much advice to give as any fault on an open flued appliance needs a professional in.

Your local planning building control can give you a recommended plumber's.Any bad work will be reported back to them to be struck off the list and they know it.....

And could you not have a friend/neighbour with you at the time ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back