Worrying blown bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a bulb blow on me today which isn't unusual. However, it is the manner in which it has happened that seems worrying. The fixture is a ceiling light that has five bulbs in it. They are all 6W LED bulbs. One of them today suddenly popped, tripped the fuse and a small cloud of smoke could be seen. The bulb had a burning smell and looks like the pictures below. Is this normal as over never experienced it before or is it a sign of something more concerning?

Sponsored Links
... They are all 6W LED bulbs. One of them today suddenly popped, tripped the fuse and a small cloud of smoke could be seen. The bulb had a burning smell and looks like the pictures below. Is this normal as over never experienced it before or is it a sign of something more concerning?
I don't know about 'normal', but I've certainly experienced similar. They sometimes go 'bang' and the plastic envelope comes flying off (exposing live parts).

Kind Regards, john

Not at all unusual. Inside the metal cap there is an LED driver. This is a printed circuit board with a few components fitted to it. When one of these fails the PCB can be scorched or ( as in your case ) burnt before the fuse blows.

Sponsored Links
Not at all unusual. Inside the metal cap there is an LED driver. This is a printed circuit board with a few components fitted to it. When one of these fails the PCB can be scorched or ( as in your case ) burnt before the fuse blows.
In my experience, it is often the 'fuse' (commonly just a flimsy bit of exposed foil) 'blowing' which appears to have caused the bang, the blackening and the smoke.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the info, very helpful. And not Chinese but thanks for your input.

They are LAP branded lamps. They are cheap Chinese lamps with end retail price being more important than build quality for the well known seller of this brand.

They are LAP branded lamps.
It is.
They are cheap Chinese lamps with end retail price being more important than build quality for the well known seller of this brand.
Again, true. However, again for what it's worth, I have used a good few LAP LEDs from that well-known seller. Whilst two or three died within the first few hours of use (and were replaced by the seller), most of the remainder had been in service for years, with little/no problems - which (again, for what it's worth) is a much better experience that my earlier one with Philips LEDs.

I guess the moral of such anecdotes is that one cannot (should not) 'generalise'!

Kind Regards, John

I have 13 x GU10 LAP Led’s from S/Fix,...they are all 5 years old,... used muchly and all still functioning perfectly,...no dimming on any of them. If I remember rightly one of them was DOA though.

Has the quality LAP’sed in recent times then?

I have 13 x GU10 LAP Led’s from S/Fix,...they are all 5 years old,... used muchly and all still functioning perfectly,...no dimming on any of them. If I remember rightly one of them was DOA though. Has the quality LAP’sed in recent times then?
Well, as I said, anecdotally (i.e. 'for what it's worth'), I've never personally had any significant problem with LAP LEDs (other than the couple of instances of 'neonatal mortality' I mentioned) - in fact, less trouble than with much more expensive ones from 'reputable' manufacturers.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back