Worrying problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is a follow up to a post I made some weeks ago and which unfortunately has developed for the worse. I expect to have to get expert help in but would like to understand as much as possible before doing so

Here is what has happened. I have a treadmill in the conservatory which started playing up soon after Xmas (inconsistent speed and sudden stopping) In addition I noticed that while using it the lights would start to flicker. This then caused a a brief loss of supply to a couple of circuits (both RCD protected) I cannot remember now whether it tripped the MCB or not Anyway I thought the problem was with the treadmill so did not use it Anyway today we purchased a Halogen Oven (1.4Kw rated) and boy this really caused some problems When the oven gets to the correct temp it will switch on and off quite frequently by thermostat (eg around 30 secs I think) As soon as it started doing this the lights started flickering just as before and then we lost power Further more we also lost power on 3 further independent circuits (2 other ring mains and the kitchen hob).

Now this is where it gets strange I went to the consumer unit (split load) and to my surprise noted that no switch had tripped. I was at a loss what to but as my meal was ready (just in time fortunately) I stopped to eat While eating the power to one of the circuits briefly came on for a few seconds then failed again Anyway after eating I decided to switch of all the MCB's to the affected circuits and then switch them on again one by one Low and behold each circuit then came alive and all is now back to normal

Now this is not all I have also had a no of device failures since Xmas as well The breadmaker has failed A week ago the main oven has failed (this caused the RCD to trip) The security system failed These plus the treadmill problems are all too much of a coincidence I feel (although I have to say that the oven was quite old (10 yrs or so)

And I am at a loss as to how 4 separate circuits could all go down and yet the MCB's remain on! It has to be a problem with the consumer unit I feel but what could it be Can the MCB's fail and need replacing ? What else is there to check? And what about the equipment failures Do I need my supply checked?

Any insight s from you guys would be very welcome as I am at a loss here

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's probably a loose supply tail into the CU or a loose flylead on one of the RCDs. You should get it checked out ASAP as if that is the problem, there is the potential for overheating and possible fire risk. However, if you feel competent in doing so, this is work that you could carry out yourself. It may get a little more involved if the wiring has been damaged by heat generation. Or, a loose connection may not even be the problem at all.

It would have helped if you had just added to your existing post instead of starting a new one.

We do not now have any history of what has been suggested before. :rolleyes: At least provide a link to your old post!

It does sound like a problem with the consumer unit. It may be that the live busbar may not be prperly terminated into the base of one of the contact breakers, or one of the supply or link cables in the CU isn't properly connected.
If this is the case it will get worse as time goes on and as the load increases. It is very dangerous to mess around inside a consumer unit unless you know what you are doing.
I would suggest getting a competent electrician on site to sort it out - pronto.
Loose connections will spark and fizz and can be the cause of fires.

As already said sounds if something has worked lose or not been tightened in first place. Assuming a ring main unlikely on ring it's self as you would need two independent faults.

Not sure how new you consumer unit is but I have had before where it has been bought populated and the electrician has not bothered to check the tightness of all screws. Unknown to him the supplier has just clipped items in they were not fitted by manufacturer and nothing had been tightened.

Yes electricians fault it does have a warning to test all screws are tight. But I can understand how it was missed.

The fault I was called to fix was telephones kept ringing and although not really down to us we went to check out as good will gesture. Lucky nothing damaged.

It is so easy. Mobile phone rings and you forget where you were up to. If not ring main then the fault could be anywhere but as already said needs fixing ASAP as there is risk of fire.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies

I have checked and found a fault in the connection between the RCCD and the busbar The plastic is starting to melt and there is a brown stain The RCCD needs replacing It looks a fairly straightforward job to me It is a 63Amp/ 30MA rated device Is this something I can do myself I as am quite handy and can I fit a unit from a different manufacturer Also what sort of price should I expect to pay an electrician

Many thanks again

i think you should get a electrician in Plextor, signs of burning and melting are not good. A replacement RCCD are freely available and shouldn't cost to much, you should use the same manufacturers equipment as it is type tested.

Unless you really know what you're doing then call a sparky a slip up here could easily kill you or make things worse and cause a fire!!!

Hi Eric i defer to your better knowledge and experience than mine, but there is no excuse for forgetting to check tightness of all connections, even if you do get a phone call.[/url]

Thanks for all the replies

I have checked and found a fault in the connection between the RCCD and the busbar The plastic is starting to melt and there is a brown stain The RCCD needs replacing It looks a fairly straightforward job to me It is a 63Amp/ 30MA rated device Is this something I can do myself I as am quite handy and can I fit a unit from a different manufacturer Also what sort of price should I expect to pay an electrician

Many thanks again

63 amp sounds like might be a main rcd.
This may be connected direct to the meter, therefore you would not be able to isolate it , to replace it safely.

EDIT
I see from your other post it is a split load board.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211276
So you most likely have a Main switch.

The consumer unit is F&G Switchgear Concept 2000 fitted around 10 years ago. It appears to be obsolete now as I can not find anyone who can supply a RCD for it Do I take it the whole unit therefore needs replacing in this case

Thanks

63 amp sounds like might be a main rcd.
This may be connected direct to the meter, therefore you would not be able to isolate it , to replace it safely.

I would immediately say that a 63amp RCD would suggest a split load - If it was a main switch I would expect a 100amp RCD.

Concept 2000 range info is at http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/002c/0900766b8002cc37.pdf[/QUOTE]

This shows the item I need precisely (Page 6) However it looks as they do not have it in stock (They only seem to stock a few leftover items from this range) I will call them but it may well be obsolete

Surely there must be an alternative I could use rather than replace the entire unit Any suggestions

And yes it is a split load unit with a 100Amp Main switch 63Amp RCD

Thanks

Looks like a very generic RCD to me.

Would suggest removing it and taking it to a wholesaler for a match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back