Worse conditions you have worked in!

Walking around on the inside of strangeways walls my first day in at work, pulling a trolley shovelling all the sheet parcels up thrown from the previous night. thrown from the cells. 4 stories high, no toilet so you wrapped it in paper and slung it out the window.
60 sheit parcels a night, yeah, that learned me loads.

I then get let out and "behave"

I may of deserved that?

I know better ways to fetch people up.

Sponsored Links
Crawling around in the back of a van for 5 hours, bent double, helping to deliver fresh turkeys, -8degrees in a thin jacket week before xmas and working just for tips which were far and few between, my first job as a 12 year old.

Had that once when changing kitchen taps. Actually had the guy in the cupboard under the sink with me
While doing the same job - a lovely lady householder stood over me as I`d asked her to hold the tap steady - Then I woke up :cry:

Weather forecast Says tomorrow is 5 degrees but will feel like 2 degrees.
If it feels like 2 it is ****ing 2! :mad:

Sponsored Links
Wots the worstvweather you've worked in?

The sun beaming down at 25c and not a breeze.
Give me a cold day any day. At least you can work to keep warm.

Gimme the heat any day! Shorts on, top off, gallon of water happy days! Catching some rays, third degree burns on my shoulders, in agony for days, no bags of sand can be lifted, hmmmm mayb not. Fluking hate the cold! :(

Have to agree, doing a large CCTV job in a heatwave, almost collapsed as never wore a hat and got heatstroke.
As said you can warm up in the cold.

We had to clear the site on a wind farm due to high winds and heavy snow conditions. The boss reckoned me and him would use a landrover to get us 50miles home if conditions on the roads were bad so stayed to catch up on paper work. Everyone else was gone when we got a phone call saying the crane driver (Been asleep with nothing to do) was still up the hill. I had little left to do so thought I would go and get him.
I struggled up the hill due to everything white but when I reached the plateau I was sh#ting myself with the visability as close to zero as you could get. The blizzard and wind made any mistakes a serious business if I needed to get down.. I knew the road really well from driving constantly + the added bonus I set most of it out. When I reached the crane I didnt realise until the driver opened his door that gave a strong shade/colour in the white. He ran over and struggled in the door.
On the way down at a crawl he asked. How can you see where your going?
I cant! :D

Not weather conditions, but i insulated a load of balconies a few years back, Marmox board laid on cement adhesive base.
There were 8 flats per floor, 21 floors.

Lifts didnt work, one set of stairs, no lifts.

Electrics on every other floor (if you were lucky) water on ground floor and 7th.

We also lined all the balcony walls with cement board.

Each balcony took about 3-4 25 kilo bags of adhesive and therefore 7-8 buckets of water. I could do 3 balconies a day.

Feel free to do the maths of how many flights of stairs i would climb each day, carrying 25k bags or 2 buckets of water each time!

Top floor for instance, climb up to 21'st floor. Find key for store room and which floor it was on now.
Back down to 7-9 to get tools, back up to 21. Back down to get the rest of the tools, back up to 21.

Back down to ground to get marmox board (2 boxes at a time, 3-4 boxes a balcony) so 6 trips.
Back down to sort out power and get first run of water (repeat water run between floors 21 and 7, 9 times per day).
Back down to ground floor to get cement, one bag at a time, so 9-12 times a day.

I HATED that job!

Things were better down low, and you did find ways of storing stuff about teh place to try and limit things, but it all had to go up!

Carying 8x4 sheets of cement board up 21 flights of stairs was no fun either!

Graemevw

cor you sound like a real winger.

take the job i had the other day,I GOT A SPLINTER IN MY THUMB now thats bad conditions. :LOL:

sod your job doing all that,mind you bet you got fit/ter doing it.
and i hope you had a good earner on it.

It payed ok i guess, wasnt my contract. I was working on a self employed basis for a friend who had the contract.

Unfortunately the developers went under and the site ended up in the hands of the bank and he struggled to get paid. I think he ended up with 70p of every £1 :(

He paid me £120 a day, the actual work was pretty easy though.

Was the worst site i ever worked on, for many reasons!

Just before i left they put external materials lifts in :rolleyes:

I could tell many stories from there which would make any site worker gasp in disbelief!

Several years ago I and a mate were installing a substation for a cement works on the south east coast of Scotland. There was no light or heating as the building was at the edge of a field within spitting distance of the North Sea, and the snow was blowing horizontally through the holes from the transformer beds outside. That was cold. Try connecting buswiring when you have no fingers.

Sponsored Links
Back