Worst Tiling Ever??

Is this the worst tiling you have ever seen from a professional installer?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is having her bathroom re-tiled and a new bathroom suite installed.

She is paying Wickes just short of £10k.

Job was due to take 4-5 days (bathroom is around 1750 x 2100 mm).

Today, Tuesday 7th March, is Day 2 of WEEK FIVE!

Bathroom has been re-tiled once. On Day 4 of the job, we went into Wickes to ask for another tiler installer.

Want to see why?

IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

More in post #2 ...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
... last few ...

Sealant around taps (1).jpeg
Sealant around taps (2).jpeg
Sealant around taps (3).jpeg
Shower and hole.jpeg
Shower.JPG

With these last 2 - notice the hole in the new tiling above and to the left of the shower?

This was after the initial tiling had been ripped out and two professional tilers engaged to re-tile the bathroom. They did a superb job by the way.

The installer initially placed the shower there - then found out that the shower would foul the shower screen!

So - do we win the "WORST TILING EVER" award?

Other things to note.

Why are the legs of the bath on notched blocks of wood I hear you ask?

Because the installer didn't want to move the pipe runnung to the shower. He also measured incorrectly and the edge of the bath was some 19cm (or 7½ inches) above the usial height. He marked the wall for the tilers to tile to and they said "That's a bit high". Having second thoughts (and bearing in mind that my daughter has 2 small children - one just 5 and the other just 7) we asked for the bath to be lowered - but there was still the problem of the support legs for the bath fouling on the cold water feed for the shower. The notched timber was his solution - but as you can see in one of the posts, the tap end is sort of supported, the other end doesn't even have the leg fully on the timber!

All this from an "Accredited" installer (!)

Personally, I would't pay this guy with shards of broken glass, let alone real cash money.

Thoughts?

XRD

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
£10K???? irrespective of quality of work that is an absurd price.
err...

Okay. That's what we were quoted.

How much do you think it should have cost (ball-park figure is okay).

She was having floor fully re-tiled, all walls re-tiled (full height) and ceiling re-plastered. A new basin, taps & vanity unit, small (slim) unit in front of the soil pipe, new wc with seat and enclosed cistern, new bath, taps & shower screen. Extractor fan fitted and shaver point installed. Existing shower was to be re-used.

XRD

The second tiler appears to have tiled over the first lot of tiles without removing them. How is that shower isolator going to be removed when it fails? One of the screws securing the top of the isolator is now behind the tiles!

The second tiler appears to have tiled over the first lot of tiles without removing them. How is that shower isolator going to be removed when it fails? One of the screws securing the top of the isolator is now behind the tiles!
No,

ALL of the first lot of tiles were removed, the platserboard (which the installer fitted after removing the original tiles) was removed, the walls were reboarded (and around the shower with the 12mm waterproof plasterboard), and re-tiled.

The tilers who re-did the bathroom did an excellent job.

EDIT: Ahh - bit in red. I hadn't noticed that. Solved with a Birmingham Screwdriver (after the power is turned off of course)??

Then the original installer was back on the job and more chaos ensued. The silicone you can see in the second lot of pictures was his second go at sealing the edges (he didn't fill the bath with water for the first go)!

Honestly, if it wasn't so depressing it would be hilarious the number of mistakes this "Accredited" installer has made.

Anyway, please vote in the poll if you haven't already.

Thanks.

XRD

Last edited:
That's wickes for you.
To be an accredited installer you just need to leave them your details and you're onboard.
I fixed a few kitchens installed by wickes cowboys, then I came across one that needed to be totally ripped out and scrapped.
I wrote a report and gave it to the landlord to take wickes to court.
He managed to get a full refund and then I fitted a howdens kitchen.
The stuff I uncovered when ripping wickes kitchen up was shocking.
There was a leak in a hot water compression joint and the sink waste had a reducer halfway the length of the pipe going into a 32mm pipe.
And a lot more.

And I wouldn't leave the bath resting on those filmsy pieces of wood.
Get the pipes moved, it takes minutes.

Im doing a new downstairs bathroom in the summer -I shall show these pics to my wife just to pre empt any wifely snagging. :ROFLMAO:

Mind you Im reasonably confident of being able to do better than this anyway.

It's not actually the worst I've seen, you should see my brother in laws handywork. He tiled his kitchen floor using dot and dab technique and sounded like a xylophone when walked on apart from those that just cracked. Installed a dropped ceiling, which did just that , dipped in the edges as he didn't think it need timber all around the perimeter. His handy work even extends to vehicles, replacing a damaged hose from the master cylinder with a bit of clear hose from his fish tank , he cut it so long it rested on the hot engine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back