Worst Tiling Ever??

Is this the worst tiling you have ever seen from a professional installer?

• Total voters
They're supposed to be professionals.
Moving 2 pipes takes minutes and surely it's not rocket science.
It's pot luck. Might work, might not. The OP did mention a leak earlier. Greater upheaval means greater chance of that. Sometimes, a quick win is better than a maximum win.

Sponsored Links
If it ain't leaking, don't fix it. Asking a ham-fisted installer to mess with the pipes is asking for trouble.

Well, it is!
(just to add some sparkle to the party)

I much prefer soldered fittings (kinda bullet-proof really) and compression fittings after that (at least you can nip them up tighter if weeping or take them off and re-do if necessary).

I'm not a fan of these push-fittings at all. If they weep once fitted, there's bugger all you can do. Even the Pegler Tectite are susceptible to weeping - trust me, I know - and these are supposed to be the dog's ********. Fitted one of these to a 15mm pipe for an external tap. Was put on square and solidly pushed home and it wept. Nothing else I could do. Had to angle grind that bugger off - so not a fan.

That said, push-fit waste seems to work okay prividing you get the correct pipe to go with the fittings (another hard lesson learned).

XRD

Last edited:
Indeed yes.

However, much as it pains me, Wickes are not to blame for the shower being so high.

Quite why my daughter didn't have it lowered (so that her two young children would be able to use it in future - they are currently 5 & 7) is beyond me.

I would have both (a) had it lowered and (b) had a brand new unit (the shower unit dates from 2011).

XRD

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An update ...

Bathroom is now fully-installed (no thanks to Wickes i might add).

However, Wickes gave us a full refund & compensation & left the bath, sink, cupboard, WC and vanity units. Took a guy recommended to us by a friend just over day to sort everything out.

Ref posts #2, #50, #58 - the bath legs weren't put in the correct place - when they were fitted into the correct place, the legs didn't foul the pipe!

This superstar fitter also ignored the cut out in the side of the sink and set it far too far backwards and then was puzzled as to why it didn't fit properly.

Wickes sent out a second installer mid-May, who was supposed to sort out the problems caused by the first installer. He reckoned it was the wrong sink (it wasn't) and he didn't spot that installer #1 had fitted the sink too far back either! What a star!

It is a real wonder that these two "professionals" managed to breathe on their own without instructions and a YouTube "How to" video.

Still, we can now put this whole shambolic episode behind us and never, ever pay a company like Wickes (or Wren for that matter) to install a bathroom or kitchen.

Go local with an installer recommended by a friend and support the small guys. They rely on local trade to exist and if they do a bad jod, they don't last long.

XRD

Last edited:
Been following this with interest, what a bloody nightmare. If that was my daughter, this guys teeth would look worse than his tiliing, that job is just beyond any words how bad it is. I once bought a kitchen from Wickes in my first house 20 odd years ago. I used a fitter who came well recommended, but I had no end of problems with Wickes themselves.....missing parts, damaged parts and their custmer service was absolutley appauling, getting things sorted was a dreadful experience. My parents had a similar experience around the same time. In the end the kitchen ended up being pretty good and the fitter made a great job. But ever since, other than shopping for general stuff, (I actually bought some cement board today as I'm currently DIY renovating my bathroom) I vowed I would never buy anything major like a kitchen or bathroom from them ever again. Glad to hear this is now resolved, this must have been very stressful for your daughter. It beggars belief how some people think they can just wing it, and that a major company like Wickes don't vet their installers.

Last edited:
We bought a Wickes kitchen back probably 15 years ago and it's still in there now, very good quality.

I installed it all though.

As said above amazing how a well known retailer would employ such poor tradesmen to fit their products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back