Contractor advice. Poor quality job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice after a tiler has left my bathroom with what I consider to be a sub standard finish. There are several issues including non-square cuts, misalignment in verticals, an edge trim which has been applied with a bow, resulting in all tiles below being installed to a curve and the last cut at floor level is not at all straight.

To date, I haven't paid for the work. The tiler has put in a few days graft, skimming the wall (not a bad job), tiled the floor (not flat tile to tile in places, but I could accept it's just out of acceptable tolerance). The issue is the walls. They really are sub standard and I now face the prospect of having to take them off, re purchase and pay someone else to tile the walls again. My wife is upset as she wanted this complete for Christmas and it's not going to be (the bottom row of wall tiles isn't installed and nothing is grouted).

We are trying to not be unreasonable but at the same time are unsure how to approach this. I did try to ring him earlier and he's not answering his phone.

Just after some advice please. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Either wait until he contacts you for payment or send him a text telling him you are not happy and unless he gets back in touch, they’re coming off and you’ll be expecting him to pay for new tiles and fitting. I imagine you won’t hear from him again.

Sponsored Links
If the jobs that bad, then take them off straight away using a scraper to spread the load, and you may well be able to then scrape the adhesive off the back, and re-use them. But Motmans right, you need to inform him that you're unhappy with the job, and you intend to remove the tiles, and so won't be paying him for that part of the job.

His phone could have died, or he knows he's done a crap job, hence he's not answering your calls.

Oh, and buy the wife a bunch of flower, and give her a hug - she'll feel a bit better about it all after that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back