Worth adding isolating valves to taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're having tiling done in our 2 bathrooms soon & the tilers mentioned the taps have no isolation valves. Included a pic of what its currently looking like

I'm in two minds whether its worth adding them or not?

I was just going to turn the hot & cold water off them add a blank nut until the tiler had finished,or would it be worth adding in isolation valves for the future? and is so which would be best? adding in an isolation valve or could i change the flexi tap connectors and get ones with isolation valves?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pl...ble+Tap+Connector+with+Isolating+Valve/p77655

Attachments

• IMG_20180211_191740.jpg
    IMG_20180211_191740.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
Isolation valves are convenient , allow you to work on the taps etc ,without wasting water draining down or affecting the rest of the house plumbing. Full bore are better as they don't restrict water flow.

Isolation valves are convenient , allow you to work on the taps etc ,without wasting water draining down or affecting the rest of the house plumbing. Full bore are better as they don't restrict water flow.
Cheers yeah that's what a lot of friends have said although none mentioned full bore so thanks for that!!

Would i just need 15mm https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Valves/sd2696/Full+Bore+Isolating+Valve+CP/p11495

Would i need anything else to connect it to the existing pipework?

That iso is fine. Your plastic supply pipe appears to have a push fit tap connector fitted ,then a reducer then the flexi hose. Pic isn't too clear ,but that's what it appears to be to me. Do you know if the thread size on the flexi is 3/8 bsp ? And is that flexi going to be used ongoing ? Anyway ,the white plastic fitting would have to go ,a pipe stiffener goes inside your supply pipe, the new iso valve gets fitted to the supply pipe. What you then need depends on your answers to my questions above.

Sponsored Links
That iso is fine. Your plastic supply pipe appears to have a push fit tap connector fitted ,then a reducer then the flexi hose. Pic isn't too clear ,but that's what it appears to be to me. Do you know if the thread size on the flexi is 3/8 bsp ? And is that flexi going to be used ongoing ? Anyway ,the white plastic fitting would have to go ,a pipe stiffener goes inside your supply pipe, the new iso valve gets fitted to the supply pipe. What you then need depends on your answers to my questions above.

I'm not sure on the pipe sizing where would i find that out?

I was hoping i could just attach the iso valves onto what I've currently got :unsure:.It sounds like a bigger job than i thought maybe i need to just get the blanking caps lol

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_110341.jpg
    IMG_20180225_110341.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20180225_110349.jpg
    IMG_20180225_110349.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 247
Ha ha ,welcome to the world of plumbing !! Here is another conundrum ,where are you going to fit the blanking cap ? And what type were you thinking of ??

Ha ha ,welcome to the world of plumbing !! Here is another conundrum ,where are you going to fit the blanking cap ? And what type were you thinking of ??
Now your starting to worry me haha

I was hoping it was just a standard 15 mm or maybe 22 mm cap that id need and it would just fit on lol :sneaky:

Whats going to be the easiest way to stop the water flow. I can obviously turn the water off at the mains and the hot water from the airing cupboard but then we've no water until its finished

Fitting iso valve onto white plastic tap connector is a possibility ,providing threads on both are 1/2 inch bsp ,and tap con has a rubber washer .very good chance of this.

Fitting iso valve onto white plastic tap connector is a possibility ,providing threads on both are 1/2 inch bsp ,and tap con has a rubber washer .very good chance of this.
Ok so I'll get the iso's ordered and cross my fingers & toes they fit lol I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help

Careful when tightening ISO valves onto a tap connector, especially if it has a rubber washer (most pushfit use rubber washers). It's very easy to overtighen it, cut the rubber washer and then it'll never seal and you'll need to replace the washer.

Lets hope i don't flood the house :eek:

Attachments

• IMG-20180227-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20180227-WA0003.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 250
Does that iso have a different thread on either end ,or is pic deceptive ? Do the cold mains first ,and when ready to turn supply back on only open stopcock a bit at a time ,having a second person to observe your handiwork ,ready to scream out ,whilst you man the stopcock !! :LOL:

Hoping ive got the right iso 15mm full bore. Sounds daft but the brass fittings go.....?

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_175811.jpg
    IMG_20180227_175811.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 258
The nut and olive are not used to connect to the white tap connector, screws straight in ,rubber seal should be in the brass nut of the tap con. So after turning water off and draining down ,you undo the flexi hose off ,then unscrew the brass reducer from the tap con. Check rubber seal in place and screw in isolator. Is the new iso same thread both ends ? If it is you will need another part to connect the flexi hose to the isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back